Friday, February 2, 2018

It All Started With a Bag of Chips

I seem to be reneging on my promise to exercise, write more and eat better. And I was doing so well for a while!! Rats. Where did I go wrong?

As long as nothing unexpected deterred me from my original plan, I did better. Not perfect, but better.

An overnight snowfall; the need to leave the house earlier than anticipated; a night out (resulting in exhaustion the next morning); doing the "hard things" at the END of a day. And those are only a few of the reasons I have been using to justify my ways.

My excuses are plentiful. I have more. It all boils down to what sounds like a whiny child's voice inside of my own head as I explain my way out of doing what I had originally set out to do.

Or did it all start to go south when I bought that bag of chips?? Let me check...

I bought a bag of chips on January 25th. I woke up to snow to shovel on the 26th and shovelled instead of exercising. The weekend which followed was an unrelenting litany of excuses as to why I didn't feel like exercising, writing, reaching out to the world around me or doing anything productive at all.

I've been making excuses ever since.

This morning's "excuse" was that I had to be at my destination before I am normally out the door. Obviously, there was no time to exercise. So I decided to sleep in to ensure I didn't have time to work in a shower either. A quick bath would be good enough...

I got together with my birthday buddy for coffee this morning. It felt sooooo hard to get there. But the moment we started visiting, I knew I was exactly where I was meant to be. Sharing "real conversation" with a friend I've known for forever (or at least 17 years).

Why was did the mere idea of this feel so hard?

Am I suffering a potato chip hangover? It all started with that renegade bag of chips I bought on a whim one Thursday evening (so I could have a snack while I watched Grey's Anatomy and Scandal later that evening).

Yes. It is the chip's fault. I had nothing to do with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment