Thursday, May 10, 2018

Life's Little Breakdowns

Now that my state of mind seems to have hit a nice and comfortable status quo, it seems the rest of me is falling apart. Yes, I am exaggerating. But it is the little things that seem to add up and pull us down, so I guess the small stuff is now sifting to the top.

I woke up yesterday morning with a "funny eye". I was certain that over the course of the day, a regular and routine amount of blinking would supply the amount of tears required to fix the dry, pulling sensation I was feeling.

Sure enough, living the day distracted me from the sensation but at the end of the day my eye was no better. No worse, but no better.

I went out for supper with my aunt and her sister. It was a delightful outing and a nice step out of the norm. I had taken a bite of and was chewing my hamburger when my tongue grazed over the back of my bottom, front tooth. The filling had fallen out. Again.

I continued to chew and when I hit something hard and crunchy, I simply thought "There goes my tooth..." and carried on. I would call my dentist in the morning.

I fell asleep before 8:30 last night. A combination of refusing to eat to keep myself awake, along with leading a rather full and productive life lately, added to this "funny eye" thing going on resulted in an exhaustion that made my feather pillow feel like a piece of heaven at the end of the day.

I woke up this morning with a teary eye and the "pulling" sensation remained. Of course my tooth didn't fix itself, so I picked my head up off my feathery soft pillow and started collecting phone numbers.

I doubt my eye is anything serious but after all my son has gone through with his eye infection, I thought "better safe than sorry". I have an appointment this morning.

I was hopeful my dentist could squeeze me in before I damaged my tooth any further (it feels rather frail and vulnerable, sitting there in my mouth at half its regular width). They were very accommodating and I will see them at noon.

While I was at it, I booked an appointment to get our furnace and ducts cleaned. Our furnace and air conditioning got a spring tune up a few days ago and all is well. A duct cleaning was highly recommended (air flow is EVERYTHING) and we should be all set for the next few seasons.

It's been a productive week. Tending to the furnace/air conditioning will be the start to some required house maintenance. Tending to my mind, eye and tooth will see to all of my immediate needs and I should be good to go.

As annoying as life's little breakdowns can feel at the time, I feel incredibly lucky. All of the above is small and fixable. Tending to small things nips (a lot of) the bigger things in the bud.

One small repair at a time, my body, mind, soul and even our home will be ship shape before I know it. I won't overwhelm myself by looking at the many flights of stairs ahead. I will focus on one step at a time.

Patience, grasshopper. Patience...

No comments:

Post a Comment