Tuesday, May 15, 2018

New Dilemmas

I'm stepping into new territory here. It is mostly okay but I am a little unsteady as I walk this walk. I have made future plans. Twice. Within two weeks.

My first acceptance of "future planning" started like this:

"Thank you so much for (once again!) including me in your invitation, but I think (once more) I will decline ..."

I crossed out the words and accepted the invitation instead. And it felt okay.

Then two days ago, I wrote the words, "IF I was to plan to fly out to Ontario for an extended long weekend sometime this summer, would anyone be interested in joining me? I know of a very good Bed & Breakfast close to where our uncle lives... "

My brother accepted this challenge. Last night we booked our flights.

Both invitations revolve around a weekend, so little time off from my work is required. That is good in a bad kind of way (I kind of enjoy the idea of a one or two week holiday), but it is manageable. It makes it easy to say yes.

I have slotted in the costs for both of these little adventures into my budget. I can make the financial ends meet with little sacrifice. I've been doing that for years. My motto is "it all works out in the end". I have not let my financial situation rule my decisions for years. Amazingly, this has worked out for me.

I am more than blessed to work for two people who say "yes" to almost anything I ask. I do my best not to take advantage of this but it makes asking for time off the least of my worries.

My concerns are usually more of a financial nature. I have lived on a shoestring budget most of my adult life. I have recreated that feeling within my current financial state and it is a comfort. I squeezed the numbers into my budgeting spreadsheet and had to forfeit saving up to pay next year's income taxes to make this work.

Forfeiting saving verses adding onto the amount I owe? This is a new and improved dilemma. I guess I can try to get used to it...

No comments:

Post a Comment