Tuesday, May 1, 2018

The Price Tag of Happiness

It feels like a whole new world around here lately. The sun is shining, birds are chirping, the outdoors is beckoning and there is a lightness of spirit which must go hand in hand with the thawing of the snow and arrival of spring.

As I prepared to feel depleted after my one day weekend this weekend past, I was surprised to find energy left over at the end of a rather long and somewhat stressful week. Why??

Is it because I am purging and releasing my thoughts as I write my way through the moment? Maybe. I believe that helps me lighten my load and bring focus to "the other side of the story".

Is it because I am facing up to the more challenging times the best way I know how? Yes, I truly believe putting either a voice or acting on what is most worrisome keeps life in perspective.

Is it because my senses are heightened and I am focusing on what is in front of me instead of what is in the past? Definitely. No elaboration required.

Is it because I am worry-free and stress levels are eradicated? In a word? No.

Is it because my financial state of affairs are in order and there is a little leeway in the budget? Delightfully, I believe this does add a little spring to my step. Let me tell you why.

I found myself waiting in the cat aisle at WalMart the other day, as a most helpful WalMart employee volunteered to find out if there was a bag of our cat's "sensitive stomach" cat food somewhere else in the store.

Not only was I duly impressed by this employee who was so willing to please, I had time to peruse the cat-toy section beside the cat food. I spied an assortment of cat toys which contained a few of our cat's favorite things. Some "sparkly balls" and some toys which contained cat nip. The price tag was $3.97 and I was feeling rich. Before I left the cat section of the store, I whimsically tossed this little cat treat into the cart and carried on my way.

I came home to find my son in our back yard with our cats. The cats were overjoyed to be outside, the weather was perfect and as soon as I put away my purchases, I couldn't wait to sit down and savor the moments with the family I have left at home.

I tossed the cat toys into the cat toy drawer, where my son has fashioned a way for "Jet" (our younger cat who gets bored very easily and seems to thrive on ways to challenge himself) to open the drawer by himself, then help himself to the cat toy of his choice. I thought finding the new toys I bought would be a happy surprise for another day.


After spending an hour outside, one would assume our cats would be satisfied and content to simply come back inside, wash up, have a drink, simply relax and enjoy the rest of the evening. One would be wrong.

Jet walked inside and must have immediately picked up the scent of fresh, new cat toys. He opened the cat drawer, checked out the selection of toys and immediately took off with one of the brand new sparkly balls (his personal favorite).


Ray is more of a "cat nip" kind of guy. His interest was piqued by Jet's ability to open their drawer and he too, did a little shopping and popped out of the drawer with a new cat nip mouse in tow.

We sat back and watched our cats enjoy their new toys. It felt like Christmas. It was a perfect end to a perfect day.

Yesterday morning, I found myself in the Dollarama with a little bit of extra time and money on my hands. Why I gravitated towards the cat aisle, I will never know. But I found myself picking out a new toy I thought our cats would enjoy. Four small yarn pom poms for $1.50. I couldn't wait to see their reaction. They did not disappoint.

Spring is a time when I miss my daycare days. Days of breathing in fresh air, going for walks, spotting robins and revelling in all the long forgotten outside toys and spending hours in our back yard. I miss scouring the toy aisles for new and exciting toys for my little daycare crowd. Just like Jet, they too could sniff out something new in the house and would be immediately attracted to the sparkly new toys.

That is where the difference ends.

Our cats don't argue about the new toys. They each pick their favorite, respect the other guy's choice and find a way to get along.

Or, in Ray's case, he batted one of the new pom poms under the cupboard that Jet can no longer squeeze under. Knowing that toy is tucked away for later use, he can simply lay back and enjoy the morning.

They say money can't buy happiness, but I disagree. For the price tag of $5.47 (plus tax), I bought a whole lot of happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment