Friday, July 6, 2018

The Easy Life

As I sit here living the good life - a life with a roof, clean water, ample food, easy transportation and a bed to sleep on each and every night - I can't help but think of those who don't have easy access to all of the above.

Presently, two of my three sons are out conquering the 75 km long West Coast Trail. They left on their adventure on Sunday. It is now Friday. They have carried everything they need to survive on their backs, spent five nights camping under the stars in (what appears to be) fairly decent weather. 

This morning, they should be nearing their destination. According to the Weather Network, they have woken up to light rain this morning, with 10 to 20 mm of rain predicted throughout the afternoon and evening, with 100% probability of rain overnight.

They have been walking for five days. They are supposedly headed towards the "easier" end of the trail. "Easy" being a relative term, I assume, after conquering the arduous challenges at the beginning of their trek.

Their packs should be a little lighter, having eaten five days worth of their food rations. But the idea of packing up a wet tent to carry on for what should be near the last day(s) of their trek is daunting to me.

My sons are accompanied by their aunt and a girlfriend. I can only guess as to the conditions they have walked through, challenges they have overcome as they test their endurance.

Why people voluntarily sign up for this challenge is beyond my comprehension, yet they do. There is consolation in the knowledge that this is a choice they have made.

As I wake up to a morning where our predicted heatwave is offset by driving to work and working in air conditioned conditions. I am sheltered from all weather conditions, good or bad, yet I still seem to find challenges within the days.

As I pack a light lunch and consider the possibility of picking up some take out item for supper and know that I have a reliable and comfortable ride home at the end of the day, I really must remember life as I know it IS a walk in the park.

There are so very many of those who cannot say the same. For those who do not choose the conditions they are living in and through, I cannot begin to to imagine. 

May your pack feel lighter today. And if you find yourself walking through the rain, tread carefully and may you enjoy nature's shower...

No comments:

Post a Comment