Friday, October 12, 2018

Heaven ... Right Here on Earth

I know I have been talking too much when I wake up in the morning and I have nothing left to say. I have no leftover words at the end of my days to catch up with me in the morning. I am blessed.

My old life was one where I was immersed in children, parents and routines with spaces to think generously dispersed throughout the day. Spending my days with a house full of children ages 1 to 4 years old left me quite alone with my adult thoughts as I manoeuvred us through our daily routines.

There were those moments under the sun though. The moments where I sat back and watched over my little people while they played contentedly. On many occasions the phrase: "THIS ... is heaven right here on earth" wafted easily through my thoughts. A small group of children playing in harmony - it is a wonderful thing.

I juggled routines, behaviours and personalities. We played a little, went outside when we could, had lunch, settled into our pre-quiet-time routines and then there was the other heaven-right-here-on-earth moment. Quiet time!

When people marvelled at my ability to run a daycare, I had only two words to respond to my capability as a daycare provider: "Quiet time"

I miss Quiet Time.

My role these days is much more interactive. I am challenged in new and improved ways. My most satisfying days are the days where I hear laughter ringing in my ears after I walk away from a conversation.

Quiet Time has been substituted with Laughter.

It is not a bad trade off. Not bad at all...

I think back on my last "good day" spent with Mom. Interspersed between the mundane, the ordinary, the serious and our routine chatter, there was laughter.

What I remember most of all is the laughter. We laughed in the face of what we both "knew" was on the horizon.

While Mom was in the hospital and the realization that we were near the end of her days dawned upon us, I remember the laughter. I recall thinking how disrespectful we must sound to those who were dealing with life and death issues. Until I realized "those people" were us.

We shared those moments together and the memories I have to hold onto is laughter generously interspersed with some tears. One was as healing as the other. Extreme emotion has to go somewhere. Tears can get the best of me at times but I choose to laugh. If it was me lying in a bed at the end of my days, I would choose to hear laughter over tears.

Laughter is a gift. Savor those moments. When the dust settles at the end of your day, listen quietly. Do you hear laughter? Can you feel joy? Do you hear those little moments that make your heart sing?

Look for your little moments of "Heaven right here on earth". If I could find them in the middle of a challenging daycare day, I'll bet you can find a moment here and there yourself. Perhaps that is why when I feel blue, I tend to look upwards. I feel like one small speck in the universe when I look skyward. It helps to keep "life" in perspective.

Look for what brings you your peace. Even if it is fleeting. Grab it. Remember it. Hold on tight and remember it. It is those "heaven right here on earth" moments that we need to focus on.

No comments:

Post a Comment