Monday, January 21, 2019

A Night in the Life ...

Eating to stay awake is something I do well and I do it a lot. Staying awake so I can eat, however? Totally different story.

I have my annual check up today and I don't like to make two trips, so I asked what fasting may be necessary so I would be able to get any blood work done immediately. Their answer sounded so simple. "No food or liquids ten to twelve hours before the test." Easy. Right? Except they added the dreaded words "But do not go longer than twelve hours without food because that could affect the test results."

Simple. I had to eat at 10:00 last night.

Then the night came. It was 7:00 and I was tired. So tired. Normally, I would snuggle up on the couch with my chips and eat until I fell asleep. Amazingly enough, I can't eat very long because I fill up faster than I used to. Thus, my conundrum.

I couldn't eat before 10:00 because I needed to be hungry enough to eat something. AND I had to stay awake until 10:00. I felt like I was a competitor on a survival show. Stay awake. Don't eat. Then eat at 10:00 and you win your prize. You get to go to bed!

It was one of the longest, hardest nights. I made it to 9:55 and started pouring the milk on my cereal. Surely to goodness if I finished eating by 10:03, that would be close enough. Right? I hope so.

A late night with the added complication of no coffee this morning has me longing for bedtime tonight. I may just come home from this appointment and sleep for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment