Saturday, January 5, 2019

The Present

"There aren't enough hours in the day ..." It has been a very, very long time since I started a thought with those words. It feels rather amazing to start a day feeling this way.

I woke up this weekend knowing I was going to amass absolutely EVERY item of clothing, footwear, coat and sweater onto my bed this morning. No matter what. I wanted to do this. I WOULD do this. And I did:


That is it. The ONLY things that are missing are the shoes I wear every day & a spare pair of running shoes, a sweater and winter coat I keep in my car. That is absolutely every item of clothing I own.

Unfortunately this pile is still sitting there awaiting action. I actually can't wait to get back to it...

What started happening as I loaded my clothes onto my bed, was a desire to put "like things together" as I started emptying my clothes rack. I cannot get off task, but I did hang all of the bags I have amassed over time together on one hook in a closet. They will be there for the day I move onto "bags and other miscellaneous items".

The important thing is that I have begun. And I WILL complete this category of "keeping only that which sparks joy". Today. I will. I must (unless I want to find another place to sleep tonight).

Secondly, my boys are (or on their way) back home. My youngest returned from his first solo, one week vacation safe and sound last night. My oldest is due to fly in from his 5+ week holiday this afternoon. My middle son is coming into the city. We will gather here today and have a post holiday family gathering.

I am looking forward to this afternoon. I have told my family I will "provide food". I am very careful how I word these invitations because what I do, I do not classify as "cooking". 

We will eat, drink and be a family. It will be good.

I spent this morning projecting my thoughts into the future. Thoughts of retiring in some distant year got me digging through my financial world. Once I dive into the land of financial planning, forecasting and predicting I get lost. 

I dug my way out to join the present day. All I know for sure is: I must save. I will save for now, without looking too far off into the future. 

The future is not ours to see. Que sera, sera...

Today is where it is at. "The present". And today? It does actually feel like a gift. I love this feeling. This day doesn't feel like it will be long enough to hold all it has in store. 

Now I must go find what "sparks joy" for me within my clothing mountain. I'm eager to begin. It feels good to be back!

P.S. I've had a few rabbit spottings this week. And even when I haven't witnessed the rabbit's presence, they have left clues for me to find.


I love getting a light dusting of snow. It makes my heart feel good to find these tracks in our yard. These ones even went up onto our door step. There may be cat tracks as well but I'm pretty sure the ones to the right are from a rabbit. We are not alone ...

No comments:

Post a Comment