Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Dragging My Feet

I am suddenly going through socks at an alarming rate. The first influx of finding at least one hole in at least one sock at the end of each and every day didn't surprise me. My mid-winter replacements of my winter stock of socks never quite lasts until spring. The timing was right.

I keep extra socks on hand, the way I stock my groceries. One "in use" product, with more "back up" products in stock. Each and every spring, I hope my winter socks will last until the bare foot season, so when fall arrives I am rewarded with the intoxicating feeling of wearing brand new socks.

With all of my socks wearing out in warp speed, I knew there was no hope of making them last. I brought out my new fall stock of socks and carried on.

Then my fall stock of socks started sprouting holes. Not only on the heels, but the toes. Not only one at a time, but both at once. What was wrong with these defective socks? Should I try to return them? This was crazy. Socks should last more than a few weeks ...

Then I had an out of body experience. I remembered asking my son if he found himself unconsciously sliding across the new laminate (or was it just me?).

I have been skating across our new flooring ever since its been laid. Then I cleaned it with a cleanser that left a residue which interfered with the easy gliding I had grown accustomed to. The floor had gained resistance to "the slide" so I washed it time and again with only a slightly noticeable difference. I was wondering if I would have to resort to sprinkling a light layer of sawdust around the floor to recreate the surface I had grown accustomed to gliding across.

I brought this dilemma to the attention of my siblings while they were here. They agreed the fault must be in the quality of the socks. Then my sister noticed herself gliding her feet over the surface of the floor even while seated. So the blame started to shift to the laminate. Aha! My son has been wearing out his socks too! I believed we were onto something.

Fast forward to the last morning of our Sibling Sleepover. My sisters were sitting in the living room while I grabbed my coffee before I joined them. They told me I do tend to drag my feet (the unspoken words were "So that must be why you are wearing out your new socks").

The mystery was solved. I went out and restocked my back up supply of socks and life moves on.

Life is like that. At least mine is.

I drag my feet at getting hard things done. I drag my feet and procrastinate on a regular basis. I drag my feet literally and figuratively on many levels of my life. Then I wonder why I feel burnt out, worn out and bedraggled.

When I pick up feet up off the floor and get things done, I have more energy, more enthusiasm and more life.

I'm not only wearing out my socks, I am wearing myself out.

It is much more beneficial to pick up one's feet, move in a forward direction and save the wear and tear on your body, mind and soul (and soles of my socks!).

Having recognized this, one would think it would be best to simply relearn to walk correctly. Me? I'm just grateful the barefoot season will soon be upon us.

I love the sensation of "gliding through life". I much prefer to phrase it that way. It sure beats "dragging my feet". Which is it? Does it really matter? If one can have fun with their flooring, shouldn't they take pleasure in the small things in life?

And does this really matter?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment