Friday, April 12, 2019

Running on Empty

I have a small (10 ml) tube of lip balm that I have been squeezing dry for several months now. I thought the tube was almost empty when I started playing this game of rolling it up from the bottom and squeezing what I could out of the dregs of this tube.

I already have a plan to cut open the tube after the tube runs dry. But this tube just keeps giving and giving. Then giving some more.

Yesterday morning, I was almost certain would be the day. The day prior was almost a "no go". Yet, when I started the ritual of rolling up the tube from the bottom, lip balm started squirting out the opening from an air pocket which had been created. 


This little tube just keeps giving and giving. It has come to symbolize what "running on empty" means to me.

Even when we look depleted, feel depleted, have served our purpose and have squeezed every last bit of life out of whatever we have to give ... there is often just a little bit more within us than we realize.

I see this trait within people who have earned the privilege to simply put their feet up and enjoy life. Yet they keep on going, working, giving and striving some more. 

Running on empty looks different on everyone. I hope I remember to think of this little tube (and the people who have modelled this way of living) every time I feel depleted and empty. 

Don't give up. You have more within you than you are giving yourself credit for ...

No comments:

Post a Comment