Friday, April 5, 2019

The Quiet Before the Company

My siblings are coming! My siblings are coming!!

Yes, a spur of the moment email suggesting we try to get together has resulted in our upcoming weekend plans.

We are a very fortunate family of four. We enjoy each other's company. We gather in good times and bad and anything in between. We haven't been together as a family for six months and the dawn of spring seemed like a very good time to invite everyone over.

We can be a little wishy washy with planning at times. So in the spirit of "Mom", rather than vaguely invite everyone saying "Any time is good with me", I suggested we try to pick a date around either Mom's birthday or Mother's Day. 

Mom's birthday was yesterday and we shall all be together tomorrow. Although Mom won't be the sole focus of our gathering, I'm sure both her and Dad will be present in spirit and mentioned often. 

I ended up with the day off from my bookkeeping job today, so I have the luxury (?!?) of six extra hours to prepare. 

My to-do-list consists of:
  • make ice (freshly made ice especially for my sisters)
  • vacuum "Mom's room" (the bedrooms have been sealed off from the cats since I washed all the bedding)
  • wipe down mirrors
  • wash couch cushions 
The list grows by the moment as I sit here with far too many extra hours at my disposal. What is my excuse not to:
  • rake the yard?
  • try to fix the gate latch (I miss my handy dandy handyson!)
  • tidy the freezer (who really cares?!)
  • prepare food?
  • dust the baseboards?
  • wash the kitchen cupboards?
  • and the list goes on and on ...
When I had a house that was "clean enough", I had so much less to do. Now that the main floor of our home is new and basically clean, the bar has been raised. I must not only KEEP it clean, now that it IS clean, I can see so very much that has been ignored in the past (I have literally no memory of washing the outside of our tub but I'm sure it has been done in the past).

No one is coming to judge me. But with these excess hours on my hands, I feel like I should cook or something. Heaven forbid.

I tried rerouting my day so I could work this afternoon instead of this evening but that was not meant to be. I organized myself so I would have all my chores done before I left for my 8 a.m. dentist appointment this morning, thus I have created an excess of time I am trying not to feel guilty about wasting.

Sigh ...

I am a master of wasting time, so I shall fritter the hours away and revel in this sunny spring day I have all to myself. Maybe I will end up outside and things may happen. Or they may not. 

I'm grateful for the quiet before the company. I don't think I'll waste the time cleaning after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment