Saturday, November 9, 2019

Rabbits!!!

My pen ran out of ink at a just the right moment this morning. When I went to find another pen within my back-up supply, I noticed the cats gazing out the window...

Our cats often look into the nothingness outside our living room window. It may be a bird. It may be nothing the human eye can see. But this morning?! It was not one, but two rabbits right in our very own front yard.

I watched, waited, watched the cats watching the rabbits. They nibbled on the grass  ... one washed its face a bit ... the other found its way to the small dish of rabbit food I set out for them ... they stayed in our yard for most of my rabbit watching time.

Eventually they hopped across the street. First one. The other followed. One hopped up in the air and all four feet left the ground. Then it rolled in the snow. Then the other did the same. They both hopped up in the air a few times and I was hopeful this meant a little game was in the works (maybe their feet were just cold?).

They hopped across the street to a neighbor who is kitty-corner to me and checked out their little rabbit garden for a short while. I marvelled at the wonder of nature. Their bellies are white while their backs still hold a little tinge of autumn brown coloring. If they hadn't moved, I would have never seen them in the snow/foliage that hid them.

They crossed the street again. One was the leader. The second one always followed. I was sure they were going to disappear down the alley, out of sight when a vehicle came from the direction they were headed and they fled back across the street again. They went in two different directions. I wondered if this was instinct. A predator could only go after one of them if they headed in two directions...

I waited. They had planned on heading down the street they had just crossed. I was pretty certain they would forge on with their plan as soon as the coast was clear. I was right.

First, a rabbit from one direction. Second, a rabbit from the other direction. Third (!!!), another white rabbit-sized animal came from a third direction. Three!!! (there is a reason for my three exclamation marks)

And they were off. Three!!! I'll never know if the third furry critter was a rabbit or a white neighborhood cat. But I do know for a fact I saw three of them head off into directions unknown.

I hope they will be back (they know where the rabbit food is).

Rabbit Watching

No comments:

Post a Comment