Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Persistence of Yellow

I got the book "The Persistence of Yellow" and it is full of words to ponder. This one in particular struck a cord with me:

"Elena puts her hand on her wide hip and gives a big sigh. Where is everything today?" she asks and looks into a yellow field where her house used to be, where her garden used to grow. "I guess I'll have to start again." And then she sat down to invent a new world, a better one. One that lasts."

Although one can take those words figuratively (there was a point in my life when I was Elena and started all over again without much from a previous life; I have a friend who was devastated with a bankruptcy and had to start all over; and another family I know very well lost their home and belongings in a fire). In each case, it was only the material belongings that were gone. We were all very blessed, even though it was hard to realize that at the time.

How many times have we been in a place where we have to start again ... the end of a relationship, a move, a new job ... It is lonely, frightening, overwhelming and all so foreign when we lose someone or something we know so well.

But as soon as we can pick ourselves up and start again, we have the power to invent "a new world, a better one. One that lasts."

And so that ... is what I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment