Thursday, April 1, 2010

Tonight's Gonna Be a Good Night

These are the words that came to mind this morning as I thought about tonight. I hope my mom is feeling the same way. Because tonight? We are going out dancing!

It's my mom's birthday in a few days. She's a hard one to buy for. Often, I just come up with some imaginative idea that costs nothing but time. But after about 20 years or so, my creative juices are running dry. Then it came to me ...

As the date and time of her arrival fluctuated in and around my dance lesson, each time I was told of the change in plans I immediately wondered how I'd work in my dance lesson.

First of all, her bus was going to arrive a half hour after my private lesson ended. I'd just miss the group classes and still attend my half hour class. Plans changed and then she was coming the next day. I thought "I'll get to go to stay for those group classes after all." Lastly (and so far, I haven't heard of any change in plans) ... she was arriving tonight. Hmmm ... my dance lesson. How would I squeeze that in?

My list of things-to-do this past Sunday consisted of: fixing my flat tire; reading a book; making supper for my family and ... wondering what to give Mom for her birthday. As I was sitting at the supper table with My Boys, it came to me!! I could give Mom my dance lesson as her birthday gift.

I am sure that I inherited my love of dancing from my mom. It is well known that she loves to dance. Her whole demeanor changes when she speaks of dancing.

I would have given her dance lessons as a gift, soon after I started dancing if I could have located a dance studio within her driving comfort zone. I investigated the possibilities but crossed the idea off my list since the dance studios were not convenient.

Throughout my years of dancing, I have thought (many, many times) of how much Mom would enjoy this. I find dancing intoxicates me and fills me with a joy like no other. I couldn't help but wish 'this feeling' upon my mom - the person who filled my head with these grand notions about how wonderful it is to dance ...

I called Mom Sunday night to forewarn her of my intentions. The last time we surprised her, her immediate reaction was "Well, I would have worn different shoes if I had known!" ... so I knew enough to give her the opportunity to pack the right shoes.

Her reaction was one of surprise, pleasure, unease and embarrassment as she thought of this reality. The longer she thought, the more uncomfortable the idea became. I tried to 'talk her down' and try to accustom her to the idea of just relaxing with it and having fun. In the end, we compromised. She will dance as long as she is comfortable. If it's ten minutes, it's ten minutes. If it's the entirety of the half hour? Perfect!

This gift is one of great sacrifice to me. I'm giving the most precious half hour of my week to my mom.

And that ... is how I know that it is the best gift that I have to offer. Tonight IS going to be a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment