Monday, May 2, 2011

The Best Mother's Day Ever!

Hey Hallmark, we beat you at your own game. We created a celebration which didn't involve gifts, cards, expectations and hype. We accidentally celebrated Mother's Day a week early. And it was the best Mother's Day I've ever had.

It happened without design or purpose. Every little piece of the day fit together like that of a puzzle. It was picture perfect.

My Second Son caught me just before I ran out the door to buy groceries yesterday morning. He told me that he was cooking breakfast and suggested that the bacon he bought the previous week was 'the best'. So I added that to my list and was off.

I came home to a freshly brewed cup of coffee. It is unfortunate that perishable groceries require immediate attention (and by the time those get put away, why not complete the job??), so I tended to that task ... and folded a load of laundry, talked to my sister and Oldest Son (Middle Son texted his brother to invite him to join us for breakfast while I was out). So my coffee was a little chilled by the time I got to it. But it was there.

My morning plan was to pick up the groceries required to have a BBQ for our Family Supper at the day's end. I had assumed that I would spend the afternoon at My Oldest's new home, helping him clean and unpack. I thought I'd suggest that we christen his new deck and home with our Sunday Supper.

The idea was readily accepted by all. We were talking of this during our family breakfast and as our plan for the day was unfolding to be a family oriented day, I declared "And it's not even Mother's Day!"

I had more errands to run, My Oldest had to tend to some things before he was ready for my Second Son to come over and help him. While my Second Son was in limbo, he called out to his Younger Brother to ask if he'd like to go for a bike ride. All of my boys were busy and I was off to get more groceries.

Before I realized that this was going to be a moving weekend for My Oldest, I committed myself to a few Zumba Parties. I was pleased when the move fell in between the two Zumba classes that I had signed up for, so our plan was to meet over at My Oldest's new home after my Zumba class.

I came home with just enough time to unload groceries and head out to Zumba, as my Two Younger Sons were heading off to their Older Brother's to finish up with the last load to be moved. They would all hang out together at My Oldest's new home until I arrived after my class.

I couldn't wipe the smile off of my face, as I drove to my Zumba Party. My three sons were spending the afternoon together. And I had absolutely nothing to do with it! The afternoon unfolded as easily and naturally as if they had been doing this their whole life.

I knew My Oldest Son's move was the beginning of a new era. But never in a million years did I expect our family to come together as one cohesive unit, as he moved into his new home.

His home has been christened with memories of family leading the way. His Younger brother was ready, willing and able to assist with the move. My Youngest was eager to join us yesterday afternoon even though there was no TV or outside entertainment at his Oldest Brother's new home yet. My involvement started months ago when I started packing up his less-used-items.

Last night, we sat down together and enjoyed the Best Sunday Supper yet. Conversation flowed, laughter came easily and I believe each and every one of us was looking toward our own individual 'future', as well as that of our family.

Now, if that isn't Mother's Day ... I don't know what is!

Thank you, Boys!! Yesterday, you gave me the best gift I could ever receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment