Saturday, November 26, 2022

What's Good for the Car is Good for the Soul

Sometimes all we need is a good highway run. What works for vehicles can also do wonders for the human counterpart behind the wheel.

Some time prior to the need to switch over to winter tires, my "check engine" light came on. I hoped it would turn itself off but when that didn't happen, I was hopeful my mechanic would clear the warning, tell me it was nothing to worry about and send me on my way.

Unfortunately that was not the case. It was warning my fuel system was too rich - either too much air or fuel. Though it was something that needed to be tended to, it was okay to drive. My car would be fine for the five hour destination away from home. An appointment for a future date to repair this engine light warning was set for two weeks in the future, the first appointment available for my busy, reputable mechanic. C'est la vie.

I would have been more comfortable to head out on my mini-vacation without that check engine light taunting me all the way. I kept late hours during my time away and came home in the dark every night (which meant I stayed out past 5:00), the "check engine" light glowing brightly each and every night. 

Any time I felt anything slightly awry with my car, I cringed. I had brought along my mechanic's diagnosis so if the need arose for emergency resuscitation while away from home, I would be armed with information to make the repair as easy as possible. I kept hearing my mechanic's words on repeat in my head, "No, it will not strand you on the highway. It will be okay.

After five hours of highway driving and three days of city driving, I headed my car in a homeward bound direction and was relieved my car made the trip. It would all be okay until I was back on home turf to tend to the needs of my rich fuel system and deal with the unbudgeted expense later.

I was halfway home when I glanced at my dashboard and noticed the check engine light was off. I stopped for gas, expecting it to light up when I restarted the car. Nothing. I assumed the light would come back on after a week of regular use. But it didn't.

My appointment date with my mechanic arrived and I called with the news of the warning light clearing itself. "Sometimes that happens. Maybe all it needed was a good highway run."

My mini-holiday was absolutely everything I needed and hoped it would be. I had an excessive amount of words building up within. If I came with a "check engine" light, it may have displayed a word system too rich error message.

Sometimes? All we need is a good highway run. What is good for our vehicle's fuel system can also be good for us. It may not be a cure all, but it is certainly worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment