Thursday, April 16, 2009

Dancing is The Best!!

I have been in one rotten mood. All week. I would have given anything to just be able to crawl up under a blanket and not peek my head out (except to eat of course ... in fact, I probably would have brought a huge bag of chips, tons of chocolate and pop under that blanket with me).

I haven't had to leave the house all week and the thoughts of going out to the dance that was being held at the dance studio tonight was not in the least bit exciting to me.

I went through the motions anyway and acted like I was going to go. I have more bad hair days, than there are days in the week lately. When I couldn't get my hair to co-operate (again), I thought "I can't go." When I didn't know what to wear (they were having a country theme and my jeans are too tight and my butt is too big), I thought "I won't go." When we were told last week that this was an appetizer party and to bring a small appetizer with us, I just got angry. Dancing is the one activity that I don't associate with food. I never, ever eat or drink when I'm at a dance. I don't associate the 2 activities in my mind (and there is very little that I don't associate with food these days), and I don't want to start now. So I thought, "I will not go."

Well ... I tamed down my hair, squeezed into my jeans (and wore a shirt to camouflage my rear view), bought some almonds to take along ... and I went.

What a transformation! The instant that I walked into the studio, I forgot that I felt fat, ugly and grumpy. I took my nuts and sat them on the appetizer table, declared that I came as a 'rhinestone cowboy' (I wore a sparkly top, earrings and a bracelet with my jeans and jean shirt), put on my dance shoes ... and the rest is history.

I started talking with people, the dance started and it was fun. Complete and total fun!! I danced, I laughed, I visited (I didn't eat or drink a thing) and it was the most fun that I've had since the last dance I went to, 2 months ago.

Dancing, the people at the studio, the atmosphere and simply getting out of the house and doing something I love ... is pure tonic for me. I was transformed tonight. I do believe I can endure another day.

It's good to have a 'happy place'. That is what the dance studio is for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment