Saturday, January 23, 2010

Music That Touches Your Soul

I love when music speaks to me. It doesn't happen all of the time but every now and again there is a hauntingly beautiful piece of music that I just want to hear over and over again.

Last night, we went to see the movie 'Old Dogs' (I highly recommend it). I walked into the theatre thinking the movie was about dogs (it was a Disney movie after all). It seemed a logical presumption. I was wrong. But I'm not giving out any more hints about the movie. It's a light hearted story that tells itself.

I loved the music in the movie. At one point I actually grabbed my pen and paper and scribbled down a key phrase from the lyrics so I could go home and seek out one particular song on YouTube.

This morning, I woke up with that song in my head. I grabbed my glasses and raced to the computer to use my best detective skills to find this song.

It took a little while because the phrase that I had remembered was the title to another song altogether. So I was off on a wild goose chase.

Then I found it. 'The Song'. As I listened to it, I knew it was 'The Song' that had haunted me on two separate occasions years ago. I heard it once at a dance ... the next time at a dance at our own studio.

It didn't dawn on me to immediately ask the name of the song. Instead, I did my Google search (to no avail) and asked at my next dance lesson. The only words I remembered were "I can't take my eyes off of you" ... and I knew it was a waltz. Without enough clues enough to go on, I never did find the song.

When I heard it last night, I had no idea that this was the song that I had been seeking out years ago. When I found it this morning, it was like stumbling across a lost memory.

As it is, with most of the songs that I fall in love with ... it is a Viennese Waltz. Is the Viennese Waltz my favorite dance because of the dance ... or the music?

I adore the dreamy tempo of this song. It makes me want to waft across a dance floor:

I love when I stumble across something I've been searching for ... and forgotten that I've never found.

I wonder if that is what falling in love could be like?

No comments:

Post a Comment