Saturday, January 9, 2010

Such is Life

The last few days threw me off of my groove. Best laid plans ... just laid there.

There was a time when I could make the best of whatever situation befell me. My daycare days were full of days like those. Last minute cancellations meant less kids to tend and more options with what to do with our day. Lots of kids meant I had to be ultra organized and so I went into super-drive. A cancelled dance lesson meant that I had time for other things. Extra dance lessons meant that I had to squeeze the need-to-do-things into a shorter time frame. I was adaptable.

This week, getting back into the groove of motivating myself throughout the days was a challenge. With dancing as my backdrop to all of these activities, I managed to accomplish a lot with the time that I had.

Then ... there was a water main break at the school. An unexpected day off of school for the kids. Day #1 - we made the best of the situation and worked around it. Thankfully I had only one child to tend that day, so the adjustments were relatively easy to make. Then, came Day #2. I had double the children (yes, only two), but it meant that the prior days game plan wouldn't work.

I was stuck in neutral. All day.

I kept playing games in my mind trying to fool myself into getting motivated. But all I seemed to do was think, "I should be at school ... I should be at school ... I should be at school". After school (I only needed to put in a half-day), I was going to have the bonus of having a free afternoon to myself, by myself. I lost my 'bonus-day'.

I think I pouted. It was a complete and utter waste of a day. I puttered, I frittered, I read and I dozed. But I accomplished absolutely nothing (my mom will be grateful that I made the time to write her a letter). It took Herculean strength at the end of the day, to tidy up the house and get my 'Friday chores' tended.

So today, I must go to school. Going to school on a Saturday almost feels as terrible as going to work on a Saturday.

I have (what sounds like) a big and time consuming book-keeping task to tend this weekend ... only I will already be at school at the time she would have been able to explain what I need to do. And since she is working all day, I will not get those instructions until the end of the day.

I like to be in the home stretch of winding up my weekend-work by suppertime on a Saturday. Not just getting it.

I was so excited to have the first three days of this week go so well and according to the plan I had mapped out in my mind. Even the fourth day was pretty good. But the last few days? I just haven't been able to maximize my time and energy because my work load is not going according to plan.

C'est la vie ...



I guess I'll just put on my 'Wizzy Wig' and let this cheerful little song be the back drop to this Saturday that is (third day running) not going according to plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment