Thursday, May 26, 2011

Grand Finales All Around

Last night was truly the wind up of a wonderful, wonderful cruise.

It started with the 'iBroadway' production put on in the theatre. Oh. My. Gosh. It was fantastic. I've never been to a Broadway production, but I think after this cruise, I am starting to get a taste for the Broadway sensation.

Then, we went to supper. More adventures on the evening's menu. I wanted to take out my note pad to write down all of the oddities on the menu. Foie Grois was one (this, I've seen before ... but chose not to opt for that). I thought a mixed greens salad would be nice ... but they had to go and add scallions. Try as I might, I could not find any entree that didn't include seafood or internal organs that I don't want to ingest.

But the highlight of the meal was when they closed all of the blinds, dimmed the lights and the music 'Tonight's Gonna Be a Good Night' pulsed through the dining room. The cruise director took the floor and had the entire dining room staff come together and accept a standing ovation from all of us that were dining, for the entire dining room experience they have created for us throughout this cruise. The dining staff created a Conga line and paraded throughout the dining room as all of us gave them a standing 'napkin wave' ...

Then there was 'Dancing With the Stripes'. I was chosen to participate ... and I was even in the 'Final Four'. Not as grand as it sounds, but it was a lot of fun and it was the one and only chance that I got to dance the entire cruise. It was all in fun, and fun I had!

Yes, I am in this photo. We are 'Couple #1' (it's a little like a 'Where's Waldo' picture)

Today, we cruised by Hubbard Glacier. We were all astounded and amazed that the captain got us as close as he did to the glacier. We were still a long way away but it wasn't safe to go further. The lady standing beside me was hilarious. Every once in a while she'd say something like, "Hasn't he heard about the Titanic?'' ... then a while later, "Someone better go and wake up the Captain" ... then finally, "Well at least we are on the top deck, and we will go down last"...

There was never any reason for fear, for our captain had the situation well in hand. It was a beautiful, sunny day - a rarity in this neck of the woods. They say days like these are hard to come by. And we were lucky enough to enjoy this one.
Hubbard Glacier on the horizon

And I'm off and running again. I'll be back tomorrow .... from Anchorage.

1 comment:

  1. Titanic - wow people have vivid imaginations but sounds like a lot of fun. Can just imagine you Dancing up a storm "with stripes" will be good to see pictures of all of this - did you take any of the exciting food?

    ReplyDelete