Monday, May 23, 2011

I Survived Ketchikan

When My Friend mentioned a few Alaskan excursions that she wouldn’t mind going on (while we were ‘cruising’ our way up to Anchorage), I had no problem whatsoever in saying, “Go ahead! I’m sure whatever you would like to see, will be fine with me.”

She found the excursions that interested her and I was totally comfortable with her choices. We weren’t going zip lining, or white water rafting, or renting ATV’s or anything that put me out of my comfort zone.

That is ... until I heard that Alaskan bugs were quite the species. I did a Google image search to see what all the fuss was about. I don’t have Internet access at the moment, otherwise I would attach a picture to this post (I will try to add an image to this post at a later date). Yes, there are some insects that would indeed be bothersome (to me) if I ran into one (or if one started crawling up my leg or down my neck).

We chose a ‘Flora and Fauna package, so we would be rummaging through Alaskan nature and the chances of running into an unfamiliar bug would probably be higher than running into a bear. Plus, if a bear was in the vicinity, I think our presence (as a group) would scare off a bear. But an insect?? I do believe that I would be on my own.

Then there is the hair issue. I have had my hair cut three times since Easter. Each and every time, my request is: something quick and easy to take care of. Each and every time, I have run into a hair style that needs hair product, to be blown dry, a hair straightener, more hair product … and it still looks pretty bad.

My biggest fear was not running into bears. My biggest phobia was finding big, scary bugs. Quickly followed up by the reality that running into rain was great. My hair + rain = uncontrollable waves and frizz.

Today was the day. Our first excursion was – “Rainforest Wildlife Sanctuary, Eagles & Totems”.

As we were driven up to the rain forest area, the driver of our bus commented on how lucky we were. In Ketchikan, it rains almost every day of the year. It is not the second largest rain forest in the world without good reason. I breathed a long sigh of relief. My hair should survive this adventure walk intact.

Our tour guide immediately insisted that anyone with any type of food product, must turn them over to her and she would return them after our walk in the forest. Food odors = Bear Bait.

It was at this point, that I remembered (hopefully???) an old wives tale about other scents that attract bears. How do I say this without saying it? Well … it is an odor that is only emitted by females … and only once a month. Need I say more?

Suddenly, I felt like Bear Bait. The only advantage to remembering that, is that it put the bug phobia into perspective. There was no turning back. I would face my fears and see what fate held in store.

All was going well – no bears and no rain. We were about half way through our tour when our guide told us how disappointed she was, that we didn’t run into a slug.

I wish I had a memory (or Google … but Internet access aboard a ship is expensive, so I can’t look up the information I don’t remember). Our guide proceeded to tell us about the slugs that frequent the area. She described colors and the size (why do I want to extend my arms as far back as they go, when I try to recall her answer?).

But that was not my fear. My real terror began when she talked about one of those slugs. Apparently, the venom from this slug is 10 times stronger than cyanide. My interpretation? Certain death!
~ Note: I researched this upon my return home and what I found, was information on a newt (Taricha granulosa). Click on here to read what I found).

The very thought of not only being Bear Bait … but also running into a poisonous slug the size of a snake, had me wishing that I was safe and sound, back ‘home’ in our cruise ship.

I am sitting here, writing this … so obviously I didn’t get mauled by a bear, nor poisoned by a slug. I am a survivor. Today, I leaped over another hurdle. Whew!

I have one day of ‘safety’ (no excursions are booked for tomorrow), before we head out on our “Whale Watching & Wildlife Quest” on Tuesday; followed the next day by “Eagle Preserve Rafting Wildlife Quest” on Wednesday.

I have only three wishes. Please! Please! Please!! Please protect me from big &/or slimy &/or poisonous insects. I guess that is only one wish when I word it that way. Also, I would be eternally grateful if I didn’t come face to face with a bear.

All of a sudden, the idea of running into rain doesn’t seem so bad. But if we must endure rain, Tuesday would be best for me. I have a haircut and style booked that evening.

I survived Ketchikan. Juneau and Skagway’s adventure trails are next. I can’t wait!

P.S. This revision is added after I personally visited and talked to My Alaskan Friend:

My fear about the insects that dwell in Alaska was unfounded. I was told that yes, their mosquitoes look as if they are on steroids ... (some say that it is Alaska's state bird) but as far as other bugs and slugs? They are really not much different from what I know and don't love about our insects at home.

Yes, they have slugs. So do we. I well remember the slugs that took up residence in my garden (and helped me decide not to plant another). So to find slugs within the second largest rain forest in the world (Ketchikan)? One would be more surprised if there weren't any slugs!

I took it upon myself to photograph the only Alaskan insect that I saw (other than a few very small flying bugs which may or may not have been mosquitos).

1 comment:

  1. Funny how bears and cynaide snake slugs put bad hair days into perspective. What lessons you are learning along the way - lovely that you can share them with us all in such a humourous and charming way. You go girl - those adventure trails are your own Mount Everst and you will climb to the peaks and tell the tale!

    ReplyDelete