Monday, January 5, 2015

Off the Grid

It seems I tacked on a writing holiday onto my holiday from everything else this past week or so. I hope it isn't like the holiday I took from exercise (never to return) ...

What did I do with all that time? In a word, I read.

I lost myself in the world of fiction and drifted off into a world the author created.

I have amassed a pile of never-before-read-books within my home and I was drawn to the work of Jo Jo Moyes. Simply because a blog writer I follow made one simple comment.

I was transported and lost somewhere between the years of 1916 and 2006 and spent most of that time in France (a little in London) as I read "The Girl You Left Behind" (I believe this is the book that my Favorite Blog Author referred to in her comment).

I love it when an author sneaks a little bit of a history lesson into a fictional piece of writing. I love finding an author whose writing sweeps me up and away and into a world I never dreamed of.

I was most impressed by the fact that I didn't fall asleep every time I sat down during my vacation. Perhaps because the other hobby I enjoyed during my vacation time was sleep.

I slept in until 9:00 a lot of days.

I discovered something quite amazing to me. If I don't get up at 5:00, I don't need a nap by noon. If I follow my body's clock in the morning, I have a few more waking hours left in me at the end of the day.

What did I do with those hours (besides read)?

I had a 'Home Hunters' marathon day.

I watched 'Home Hunters - Where are They Now?'; 'Home Hunters Renovation'; 'Home Hunters International'; 'Home Hunters - Off the Grid'; and just plain 'Home Hunters'.

What did I dream of as I watched this massive array of Home Hunting Shows?

I dreamed of living off the grid.

I dreamed of my never-ending-dream of running a bed and breakfast.

I dreamed of my 'dream home' where I have a desk which is on the second floor of an old home, overlooking a quiet prairie scene.

I dreamed of convertible organization spaces to run my daycare without it looking like I run a daycare.

In the end, I (eventually) took down our Christmas decorations. I am enjoying the sleek new look of less garlands and lights and a more barren landscape.

When my ship comes in, I shall invest in living room windows and new doors. If my ship doesn't come in, I may settle for a new book shelf ...

As I ran this Home Hunters Marathon and transported myself into different countries and historical periods throughout my week-long holiday at home, I saw the world. I experienced more than I could have ever imagined. Without leaving our home or spending a penny.

It was the best holiday I could have ever imagined.

Living 'Off the Grid' was a quiet and self indulgent place to spend my time. It was exactly where I needed to be.

I'm back. But I hope I keep one foot in my holiday time zone where everything felt possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment