Friday, September 2, 2016

Cats on Patrol

What you think about, you bring about. I'm sure that applies to writing as well. So I won't write about what I'm thinking about because I don't want to bring any more of that about.

So that leaves our cats. Our crazy, wonderful, amusing and annoying cats.

Both of our cats have taken to playing with the blinds in my bedroom in the middle of the night. Jet started before I went to bed so I kicked him out of my room and shut the door, leaving Ray sleeping soundly on my bed. Moments later, I heard the quiet scratch, scratch, scratch at my door. Jet didn't want back in. Ray wanted out. 

I shut the door on our cats and dreamed of the peaceful night's sleep I would have, with no one trying to convince me to open up my blinds so they can jump onto the window ledge and gaze at the night sky. 

I was wrong. Sometime in the middle of the night, I heard some scratching at the door. It sounded rather insistent so I thought I'd open the door and two tired cats would come in and fall into a dead sleep. I was wrong again.

I didn't happen to open the door wide enough, so someone pushed it wide open so I could hear the two of them ripping around the house at full speed, while skidding out on the laminate to make the most of the acoustics.

It took one more round of batting at my blinds but eventually I woke up to find the two of them snoozing soundly on their side of the bed. Peace at last. But now I was awake.

I finally had to resort to turning on the TV to lull me back to sleep. The cats woke me up intermittently all night and I had no trouble falling back to sleep. Yet the moment I woke to find them sleeping beside me, I was wide awake. 

It is exactly how I feel at nap time. If I EVER manage to have every child in the house asleep at the same time (my three year old who doesn't nap any more has been the death of my sanity), I come to life and don't want to miss a moment of the peace while everyone is sleeping.

My night was a rerun of my day. Cats who don't listen to me, cats who would be bored silly without each other's company, one cat who picks and bugs and always wants to be doing what he is not allowed to do and one cat who seems perpetually awake on patrol. 

It's no wonder I woke up to enjoy the only peaceful hour of the night. 

Jet, who even makes "sleep" an adventure
Ray in his favorite sleeping spot. Is he tired or bored?


No comments:

Post a Comment