Thursday, May 4, 2023

The High Cost of Comfort

Well, I did it. I invested in my feet today. The high cost of sandals that will support my feet and orthotics tallied a hefty sum of just under $250.00. 

Wow! For a girl who shops for the best bargains on milk, that is a big investment. On the flip side, a few years of savings on my milk deals may have covered the cost. 

I bought a pair of sandals at the same store 11 years ago (I know because the clerk looked it up for me). I checked my financial records and I believe this pair of sandals cost $187.00. Eleven years of usage amortizes the cost to $17.00/year. Not a bad investment all in all.

My only dilemma was that I wished I could buy two different colors but at that cost, one pair was suffice. 

I came home and immediately tallied up my work expenses I have paid for out of pocket. It turns out I spend money without blinking when it comes to keeping the office up and running. This years office expenses exceed the cost of my comfy shoes and I was reimbursed my costs without question.

I can find a million ways to justify my spending. Savings here, cutbacks there, calculating how much something costs over its lifetime, a little nest egg stashed aside for a rainy day all keep my budget balanced.

Side story with a moral and relevant to "all of the above":

When I was young, in love and about to marry, I asked my husband-to-be why he loved me. I knew the answer was going to be an honest one when he took a minute to respond. After some consideration, he replied, "Because you are good with money".

Fast forward to the trying times during our marriage when money and lack of it was at the root of many of our disagreements. My husband would be asking for money we didn't have to spend on items that were never included in any budgeting figures. I would respond with an attitude that probably went far beyond a simple "no" and his retort would be "Just juggle the books ". 

Back to the reason this memory resurfaced:

I have been juggling my finances for as far as I can remember. In fact, it was one of the reasons my husband cited for loving me. Savings, cutbacks and a little nest egg here and there go a long way over time. 

Long story short? The high cost of comfort is well worth the sacrifices made along the way.


True to my form, the new is almost identical to the old. 
Same, same, same.
If I know what I like, why would I want to try anything else?

No comments:

Post a Comment