Friday, September 18, 2009

Dancing the Night Away

My very first dance lesson was in the middle of a time of crisis in my life. My oldest son and I were going through the worst part of our relationship and we parted ways. I had just found out I was pregnant (and in the process of finding out that I was alone in that scenario).

I was consumed by my troubles. At one point, I remember being at home and crumbling to the floor and sobbing. I rarely fall apart. It's happened only on a few occasions and that, was one of them.

This was the backdrop to my life, when I walked in the doors of the dance studio the very first time.

From the moment I walked in the door until the moment I walked out ... I completely forgot every single thing that was going on in my life. My mind was void of everything except dancing.

Dancing did that for me for years. An oasis in the dessert. The good felt better and the bad disappeared when I walked through those doors.

Eventually there came a time when I walked through the dance studio doors and I carried my little black cloud with me. I knew it was time to walk away.

But I returned.

I've been back for quite a while now. I refer to the studio my 'happy place'. Once again, no matter what is going on around me ... I walk in those doors and I am transformed.

I'm comfortable, I'm happy, I laugh and I dance. It's a perfect blend of activity, people, music, joy and relaxation.

Once again, I'm at a point where I have a lot going on around me. School is new, work is plentiful, I have projects I'm working on, friends I see and family to tend. This past week, my family has been in need. That takes a different kind of energy. It's been hard on the heart but we are making steps in a positive direction.

Last night was my dance lesson.

The biggest distraction was trying to assemble a '50's costume for the dance that was to follow my lesson and the group classes. I dug through closets, my bow and ribbon collection, searched 'The Net' and eventually I came up with an assortment of accessories that would have to do.

I walked in those doors and was immediately swept away.

My lesson was fast and action packed. My feet and brain are starting to work in sync for one of my routines ... the second, not so much. But we laugh. And we laugh. Though there is a lot of work to be done, we seem to have fun in the process of getting from 'A' to 'B'.

Then there were the group classes. The first class started with 3 women to 1 instructor. That's good and fine. We've had small classes all summer. Then more people filed in and I had to take on my 'Dave' persona once again (we've been so short of men all summer that I've been doing my best to learn to lead).

It is all light and fun. Stumbling through and learning something with people who accept you as you are. Laughing, learning, laughing, dancing, laughing and sometimes succeeding. Fun, fun, fun.

Then the dance started. Once again the high women to men ratio meant that I danced once. But that's okay. I'm in it for the company. The last half of the dance was devoted to learning the 'Shag'. Everyone participated (and I didn't have to be 'Dave' this time).

Fun, fun, fun.

By the end of the evening, my feet were throbbing. Even this morning, they are very tender.

But my heart. My heart is happy and full.

No comments:

Post a Comment