Friday, December 18, 2009

It Was the Most Wonderful Night of the Year

I woke up with this song in my heart and in my head:

... only I had the words mixed up. I was singing to myself "It Was the Most Wonderful Night of the Year ..."

Dancing. What a night.

It never fails. I walk into the studio and I am transformed. An instant case of happiness washes over me, in my entirety.

My lesson? We turned on the music and settled into the business of preparing for 'Montreal'. Even though there was some actual teaching (and learning?) going on, it was fun and upbeat. Yes, music was nice. But it was more than that. I was wrapped up in absolutely everything and loving every minute.

Then ... the dance.

Oh, the Christmas dance. This has always been my most unfavorite dance of the year. Too much hype, too much food, too many people I don't know, too much ...

This year? It was perfect. I knew a good portion of the group that was there (going to the group classes makes all the difference in the world) and I could have had fun just visiting. But ... I wanted to dance.

It took a while for the dancing to begin. A room full of dancers and very few (if any) were dancing. All I could think was "Oh no! Not again ..."

Then the music picked up, as did the interest in dancing. Even if I'm not dancing myself, I love to be in a room where people are dancing and moving in time to the beat of the music they hear. But last night ... I wanted to dance.

I caught the eye of a man who had just put on his shoes and he nodded towards the floor and we were off. Later on, I heard Cha Cha music and caught the eye of another and mouthed the words "Can we dance?" And we did.

Then I stepped out of my comfort zone and walked across the room and actually pursued a young man. He ran for cover. Others saw my desire to dance with him and tried to lure him out from under the chair he was hiding under (this is all true, I swear!). I stood quietly on the sidelines and when the poor guy eventually poked his head out of the room that he had fled to, I quietly said "I'd love to dance with you ... if you would like to dance. I'll just wait until you are ready."

Yes, I've come a long way. I rarely (if ever) ask someone to dance. It's not so much the idea of being shot down. It's more that I don't want to push someone out of their comfort zone. I think my body language of sitting on the edge of my chair and vibrating with the music lets people know that I want to dance. But last night? I had been told that this gentleman actually wanted to dance but he was shy.

So I took the first step.

We danced a few times after that. He is in the beginning stages of his dancing and he did a marvelous job. I was honored to be chosen by him when he was ready. I was asked to dance more often than I asked someone else. I danced.

The music was in my heart and pumping through my body with each beat. I think my heart even started beating in time with the music last night.

I visited. Real conversations with people that I have come to know. Not the usual - So, how long have you been dancing? and struggling with the next topic. We talked of many things ...

I felt an inner glow of happiness within me that I could barely contain. My dance studio persona. I believe I smile and laugh most of the time that I am within those walls.

I came home and I was still glowing. Even as I slept, I could feel happiness within. My heart is racing with the thoughts of last night.

People laughing, dancing, visiting ... and of course there is the eating from all of the food that people donate to the appetizer table. Dancing and food just don't mix in my mind, but it is a part of what makes this Christmas dance special. The sharing ...

Finally. I've been searching high and low for my Christmas spirit this year. And it has been illusive and just out of reach. The happiness I found last night had little to do with Christmas. It had everything to do with being in a room full of people that I was comfortable with. It was the company, the laughter and the essence of comfort. And it was the dancing!

Yes! It was the most wonderful night of the year!!! My happy quota was filled to overflowing. I think that I can now waft through the Christmas season and be jolly.

P.S. The young man I was pursuing? He was the ripe old age of almost 8 years old. He has an older brother (maybe 10?), but someone else had their eye on him. Hopefully I didn't scar him for life ...

No comments:

Post a Comment