Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Two Days In ...

Today is November 3rd. Two days of this bright and shiny new month are behind me. So far, so good ...

I marvelled aloud at supper time last night "It's November 2nd and we haven't had take-out food yet!". October was an all time record bad month in our take-out world. I recorded 20 entries in the 'take out' column where I record my spending. Twenty!! Granted, two of those were 'going out for milkshakes' and one was for coffee. But without even trying to think very hard, I know that I was treated to a restaurant meal at least twice (make that three times, now that I've had a moment to think about it). Twenty is pretty accurate. So to go two consecutive days in the new month without dining out is rather miraculous.

I have worked an average of 8.5 hours per day so far this month. Once again, this doesn't sound like anything too special until you take into account the fact that I averaged about 5 hours per day for the month of October. My goal is to work 10 hour days ... but I'll settle for 8. So far, so good.

I have allowed myself some small indulgences in the two days that I have seen in November. But both are bought and paid for. My credit card balance is 'zero' and I did not borrow from Peter to pay Paul to accomplish this. I have completely messed up my budgeting system (I usually have a credit balance on my credit card at the beginning of the month and use it like a chequing account) to do this, but for now this will have to do. I will be accountable and careful with my spending this month.

My other big goal for the month was to become motivated. Working a full 8 hour day, eating home cooked meals and regaining control of my spending has done wonders for my frame of mind. I have things I need to do and the energy to do them.

Then again, I am only two days into the new month. I hope that I'm setting a trend for the 28 days that follow ...

No comments:

Post a Comment