Monday, February 27, 2012

The Best Day

I have a lot of best days. Yesterday was one of them.

I got Mom's income taxes pretty much wrapped up first thing in the morning. I had two questions for her, so a phone call was in order. One more phone call to confirm some other information and that job was complete.

Then I received a phone call that changed the course of my day. It may alter more than a day. It may not. I am hopeful. If nothing else, it will be a most excellent 'lesson' for me ...

I picked up the phone and called a friend in the afternoon. I had been thinking of calling but hadn't followed through. So I just picked up the phone and mindlessly dialed it. We were a few minutes into our conversation when she said that she was going to call me. In fact, she said that she found herself holding the phone talking with me and she couldn't remember who called whom. It was such a little thing, but it wasn't. Two friends on exactly the same wavelength.

Then Mom called. She had an idea which was spurred on from our earlier conversation. I had one last item to clarify before I officially wrapped up her taxes. So we talked a while. And she asked if I would be sending her a letter this week. I said I was working on it ...

I barely hung up (and went back to amassing an envelope of items-of-interest for Mom), when she called me back. She was so impressed that she found exactly what I had asked about within moments of hanging up the phone. I said, "You are making this letter that I am trying to write a bit of a challenge ..." (I also talked to her twice on Saturday). We had a little chuckle over the frequency of our phone-visits and she promised that she probably wouldn't call back for a few days.

I went back to Mom's letter and it is signed, sealed and ready to deliver. I looked at what I had been working at all day one last time. I made a few small revisions and sent that off.

I didn't work on our family's book project at all yesterday. But I moved a few other mountains. I guess that is good too.

I thought that I may not get called into work today and I could make up for my lost day. But the phone just rang and I must work.

All good things must come to an end. And so it was with this February break. I kept myself fully occupied within the confines of my home. I enjoyed every moment of it.

Everything that I wanted and needed was at my fingertips. That is what I miss about working from home. The feeling of containing my life under one roof. When I am not physically pulled in too many directions, I can accomplish so much more.

My home grounds me. This holiday gave me exactly what I needed.

Now, I must go and make today the best day it can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment