Tuesday, August 28, 2012

It Never Hurts to Ask

I have approached reopening my daycare from a different angle this time around. I am taking full advantage of all that the Internet has to offer in the way of free advertising and it is serving me well.

I have placed a free ad in our local community. I am advertising in two Internet daycare locater agencies. I have started a website. And ... it is producing results that I could have never predicted!

Number One - People are actually calling and following through and meeting me! I have placed ads on one of these sites before and it often attracts 'window shoppers'. People who are interested in looking but not 'buying'. That has not been the case this time. I have met with most of the people who have contacted me. This feels like success already.

Number Two - A lot of these websites ask you to post your hours of operation and rates. I did this in a manner not unlike a child writing a letter to Santa. I thought to myself as I wrote down what I hoped for but didn't expect "... it doesn't hurt to ask ...". What I have found out instead is - ask and you shall receive! People are not questioning my hours or my rates. I am the one setting the tone and it feels unexpectedly wonderful.

Number Three - I have written up my Daycare Policies on my website. I have actually had one parent call me and started the conversation with something to the effect of "... I found your website and read through it and I think we meet your criteria ..." What!?! I'm the one making the 'rules and guidelines' and I am getting positive feedback? This feels like a good way to run a business!

Number Four - I am interviewing parents as much as they are interviewing me. I recognized that a big part of my downfall (when I ran my daycare the last time) was that I accepted families that did not think/parent in a similar fashion that I did. The days would be a struggle because the children were learning to adapt to two very differing styles of parenting. It was like fighting the current. It is my goal to know when to say "No" this time around. It is not good for the parent, the child or the caregiver when we are not working as a (relatively) cohesive unit. I am very uncomfortable in this role and today I may be in a position where I must choose one family over another. I must remain true to myself and the answers will follow.

I am reopening my doors with a renewed sense of self. I have set the bar higher than I set it before and it appears to be working!

I will make every attempt to learn from the past and bring it forward into my new life. I will go forth with the attitude of Ask and You Shall Receive verses Wait and See What is Offered and You Get What You Get (with no one to blame but yourself).

I may come with a higher price tag this time around ... but I'm actually starting to believe that I am worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment