Sunday, February 21, 2021

An Unexpected Surprise

Throughout our current pandemic-in-progress, I have rather joyfully accepted my fate and followed the stay-at-home recommendations with ease. 

I have broken this protocol to go to work; get groceries [which has fully transitioned to curbside pick up which is my newest favorite thing!]; pick up prescriptions; replaced my broken glasses; got a mammogram; pick up library books [after reserving them online and checking them out myself to minimize contact and save time as an added bonus];  get gas; run errands as required for my work and donate blood. 

The only thing I had on this weekend's agenda was a blood donation appointment. Between the ability to complete the questionnaire online; the new protocol of appointments only and an overall streamlining of things I can be in and out of the building in no time flat. As I read over the revised COVID protocol, it was mentioned that they were no longer allowing you to eat your after-donation-snack in the building to avoid any hand-to-mouth contact. Everything is individually packaged and must be taken with you when you go. Normally I forego the snacks in an effort to save time. But snacks to go? Sure. Sign me up!!

What I did not think of, is that they still want you to stay in the building and wait to ensure there are no ill effects after your blood donation. I was directed toward my chair while the person in charge happily loaded up my to-go-cart with everything I asked for and so much more.

Then came the wait.

Well! This person was engaging, interesting and all-round entertaining. "Multiple choice question for you ..." directed thankfully at the person sitting two meters to my left. The initial round of questions were dedicated to our solar system (inspired by the Mars landing this week) - how many miles to the moon; how many moons could you fit inside the earth; how many earths could fit inside Jupiter; trivia about the effect the moon has on the earth; did you know if the moon were to suddenly vanish, our 24 hour days would become 10 hour days? The second round of questions were related to the royal family - what city in Canada was named after Queen Victoria's husband; what province was named after one of their daughters; did you know Lake Louise was also named after this same daughter?

The waiting room filled to capacity as blood donors came to collect their prize for donating blood that day and the entertainment went on.

This was the first time I went out for entertainment in almost a year. It was well worth the wait in the most unexpected circumstances.

I spent well over an hour in the blood donation clinic. I am normally in and out in half the time. Will I accept the treats as a trade off for being "held hostage" for the recommended time any time in the future? Probably not. But it was fun while it lasted. 

All I wanted was chips and pop ...

No comments:

Post a Comment