Thursday, February 25, 2021

Waterless

When I heard of the winter storm and ensuing power outage in Texas last week, I couldn't help but put myself in their shoes. What devastation a three day power outage would wreak in the dead of a Saskatchewan winter. I cannot begin to fathom the ramifications. 

So when our water stopped running unexpectedly a few days ago, instead of feeling frustrated, I simply felt grateful.

I always keep an extra water supply on hand. It started as a way of helping our extra fridge not have to work so hard to keep the fridge cool by filling the empty space with several 4 litre jugs of water. This very water has been a godsend on more than one occasion.

As our lack of water situation unfolded from one day into the next, we felt destined to believe we would be without water for the entire 48 hour period (the maximum amount of time on the notice that was hand delivered after the fact).

I had packed a few empty 4 litre jugs with me when I went to visit my aunt yesterday. After checking one last time before I headed for home to hear our "no water" situation had not changed, I filled my jugs anticipating the need to flush a toilet would soon become a necessity [the warning "You have ONE flush left - use it wisely" had been heeded and utilized].

By the time I got home, our water had been restored. The sound of running water and flushing toilets was music to our ears.

In all, we were without water about 31 hours. All I could think of during that time is "What if we had been without power during that time? Or both power and water? And had to deal with freezing pipes and cold and safe guarding ourselves and electronic belongings from frigid temperatures?

Running water is a convenience we have come to take for granted. Power has become a necessity during our Saskatchewan winters.

May I simply say "thank you" to all concerned that keep things running as expected? This is huge. We are so very fortunate. I am grateful for this opportunity to be reminded of the fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment