Sunday, February 27, 2022

Remembering When...

When I was a child, I dreamed simple dreams. I lived in a world of make believe, playing house, pretending and acting out what I imagined to become my future. 

Playing house utilized a lot of imagination when I was growing up. Pretend stoves, fridges, TV's and numerous household belongings were made from cardboard boxes or whatever one could find at hand. I dreamed of child sized furniture, miniature kitchens and doll furnishings and was grateful for anything that could be imagined into reality.

During my daycare days, I created my idyllic childhood dream for my daycare family. We had a Little Tykes kitchen, doll furniture and accessories galore, a little playhouse for the deck and a building, most would call a shed, that was dubbed "playhouse". Thanks to garage sales and second hand shopping, I created my dream come true for the little ones in my care.

As I grew out of playing house, my interest in TV was my second most favorite place to imagine myself. I wished I could be a witch like Samantha on Bewitched. I remember the elation of watching Bewitched, a favorite show of mine, and wishing another episode would play immediately. To have to wait one long week for a new episode felt like forever. 

Now, thanks to the multitude of streaming services and the vast amount of syndicated television programs, one can go back and watch old favorites. Just as I had dreamed - one show after another, no need to wait a week for the next episode. 

I am quite literally living the life of my childhood dreams. Child sized furniture has been replaced with real life furnishings and appliances. Live, breathing children replaced dolls and pretend babies. I can sit still and watch a favorite show as long as I can stay awake (never, in my wildest childhood dreams, did I ever think I would fall asleep at the speed I do in adulthood).

My life has become everything I dreamed. Minus a husband - I'm not quite sure why I never imagined that into my reality. I tried. It just didn't work out the way of my dreams ...

I sit here within my quiet, simple little life and am simply amazed. Life has become everything I had ever dreamed it could be.

Should I have dreamed of something bigger? Perhaps. But that would be someone else's dream. Not my own. I am content with what I have, what is real and the day I wake up to each morning.

As the world events of the day dominate the news and serve as a reminder to be grateful for the peaceful existence within our country, community and homes we have created ... I have slipped back into my childhood memories and am simply grateful.

Remember your dreams. Forget other people's expectations. Strive to create the world you hoped to live in when you were a child. 

Let there be peace. Within our hearts, minds and souls. And let that peacefulness embrace our family, friends and community. One peaceful heart at a time, may harmony dominate.

Please? 

No comments:

Post a Comment