Sunday, February 13, 2022

Crash

It wasn't a collision. It was more like a slow slide on the ice into a soft snow embankment. No, I'm not speaking of a literal crash. Just a mental one.

I was flying high Friday morning. I felt so good, I stopped to write. Putting myself out into the world and outlining my small triumphs out loud exhausted me. It was as if a small dose of adrenaline was administered as I wrote. Then came the fall.

It was simply a slippery slope of having the ability to coast. I coasted through Friday and landed smack dab into Saturday with ease. I woke up an hour later than usual Saturday morning. I forgave myself but in the back of my mind, I mourned my lost hour.

"It's okay. It's Saturday. You worked for this. Coast. Just coast ..."

Coasting for me involves sitting still without eating or talking. Movement, chatting and a seemingly endless supply of chips is what keeps me awake. The moment I stopped all of the above, I was asleep.

"It's okay. If you are tired, sleep. It is all right."

So I did. I slept the afternoon away, woke up and had a frozen piece of cheesecake dessert which took the better part of three hours to chisel away at. Then I went to bed. 

"Just to get warm, comfortable and settle in to watch another old episode of 'This is Us'. I'll just nestle in for the night."

Then I woke up to Sunday. 

Where did the weekend go? I slept away a day. As I sit here and watch the blowing snow outside (43 km/h wind, with gusts up to 56 km/h), I just want to nestle in and hibernate for the day. I scroll the weather forecast and the headline "Whiteouts, dangerous travel possible ...", I wistfully wonder how I would feel if I was snowed in, at my favorite little oasis on the prairie.

Oh, to dream a little dream. It is a small thing but it feels so right. I love this soft place to land at the end of my week.

I wish you a soft slide into your most favorite place, activity or mental holiday. Happy Coasting!

No comments:

Post a Comment