Friday, June 4, 2010

Synergy

Synergy:
1. The interaction of two or more agents or forces so that their combined effect is greater than the sum of their individual effects.
2. Cooperative interaction among groups, especially among the acquired subsidiaries or merged parts of a corporation, that creates an enhanced combined effect.


Synergy - I don't think I've ever had a favorite word before. But I do now. I stumbled across this word in my studies this week. And I like it.

I believe there is a lot of 'synergy' in my life ...

My own little family unit. As my adult children grew up and away from home, there was a lot of individual growing going on. But lately, this growth has 'come home again'. There has been some reaching out and finding family at our side to walk with, through the trials of life. And then there are our Sunday suppers to cement the bonds. "A mutually advantageous conjunction where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts ..."

My own siblings and our mom. This past weekend was a perfect example of what and who our family is. We are each living our own individual lives but when it comes to family, we are united. We get together because we enjoy each other's company. We are there for each other. Through the good and the bad. "A dynamic state in which combined action is favored over the sum of individual component actions ..."

Then there is the great community of aunts, uncles and cousins that I have familiarized myself with these past few years. In the past, I've been the quiet and stand-offish relative. Shyness was my excuse as a child. Insecurity was an alibi as I grew older. By the time I was full grown, it was simply habit. But as soon as I reached out and made the effort to get to know my family better, I was overwhelmed with a familiarity and acceptance that made me feel as though I truly belong here. Family history, shared traits and ways of thinking have cemented my 'roots' in this family. "Cooperative interaction between groups ..." Yes, our family is spread across the countryside. But there is an energy that unites us. I feel it every single time I make the effort to draw a family member into my world.

Friends. I am blessed beyond words. I have one particular group that defines the word 'synergy'. When we combine these personalities, it is magical. "Their combined effect is greater than the sum of their individual effects ..." I have one-on-one friends that inspire me in many ways. As individuals, we walk through whatever life deals us. When shared with a friend, troubles are halved and the joys are doubled. I find myself reaching out to make new friends ... this energy, this 'synergy' is too great not to be shared.

There is not one area in my life that isn't affected by the 'synergy' of the relationships I have with the people that touch my life. Whether it is at arm's length with those that I know on a less-than-personal-basis ... or someone I know well, I feel 'connected' and part of a team in almost every avenue of my life.

I marvel at the happy-factor that surrounds me. Then I look at the people that have touched my life. And I know.

Alone, I am a mountain. I stand tall and strong. But I am lonely. As a part of my family, with friends and an entire community of people that I connect with on some level, I am part of a group "... that is greater than the sum of my individual effect ..."

No comments:

Post a Comment