Saturday, October 23, 2010

Friendship

Some of my bestest friends in the world have invited me to partake in an 'adventure' today. These are my instructions:

"You can come at 2:30 or close to 3:00 – whatever works for you and then it should last until noon on Sunday."

"Bring good walking shoes and maybe something a little more dressy but nothing too much and of course some P.J.’s and a warm housecoat or something like that – we will be spending time building a little muscle strength in the wonders of nature, then bodily sustenance with a little fancy dining, then hopefully some mind relaxation enjoying the moonshine (not the alcoholic kind but man in the moon kind), and a whole lot of spiritual renewal with lots of laughter, a few stories, sharing of dreams and maybe a few heartaches but mostly just savouring the wonder of celebrating beautiful friendships and special birthdays."

Where do I begin to describe the adventure of becoming and being a friend to these incredible human beings?

We met because of circumstance. We have evolved from the initial 'teacher/student', 'supervisor/employee', and 'co-worker' roles ... into those of cheerleader, supporter, encourager and friend. Our lives have taken us in completely different directions, yet we continue to return to this strong circle of friendship.

I can honestly say that I have no idea 'who' I would be without the support and encouragement of these friends.

I vividly remember the first time I walked into the meeting room where we met. I was meek and timid. I spoke when I was spoken to. I have no conscious memory of outwardly reaching out to anyone. Yet one of these friend's first memory of me, is that I initiated a conversation with her (I must have sensed our mutual terror in this brand new scenario?).

In the cocoon of safeness that enveloped me during those initial years, I started developing a voice. It seemed I was continually encouraged to use that voice and as time went on, I started to feel like one small part of a whole unit.

I took this new found strength and used it in my personal life. I made hard choices, good choices, life changing choices and quite possibly even some 'not so right' choices as I walked through my life's path with these friends.

Even though our contact was limited, we made the best of the times we had. When you have real friends such as these, no time is wasted in becoming familiar and comfortable when you are in their company. Conversations pick up from where they last left off. Whether it was a week ago, a month ago or a year ago. Time and distance evaporates when in the presence of a lifetime friend.

We have gathered together for many reasons. Most of them simply being, that we enjoy and continue to be encouraged and inspired by our friendships. We have seen each other go through some of the most challenging times of our lives. We walk quietly beside each other and we are friends.

We worked together for many years before we started branching off to live our 'real lives'. It starts innocently by taking a new position in the same workplace. Then there are the moves, changes in career paths, marriage/divorce/children that impact where you spend your energy.

Yet, twenty years later, we continue to nurture and celebrate the bonds of friendship that endure because one person took the time to gather us together to celebrate a birthday one sunny Saturday. It is that same friend that initiated the adventure we are about to embark on today.

"Thank you, my friends! I can say with all honesty ... I have no idea who or where I'd be today without your support, encouragement and friendship."

No comments:

Post a Comment