Monday, November 8, 2010

The Afterglow

I hope the magic doesn't fade after I write this ... sometimes the best part of a memory is holding it near and dear to your heart and not tainting it by taking it apart and looking at each individual piece of a most incredibly special 'whole' ...

I cannot neglect to mention the 35 days that preceded Saturday night ...

It all started when my sisters treated me to a 'Hair Make-Over Day' and a fun-filled Sister Day last month. They surprised and shocked me when they had already paid for the cost of my hair make over in honor of my upcoming birthday. Surprise!

A few weeks later, my good friends treated me to an Overnight Adventure. It came with only instructions as to what to pack, a vague outline of the day so I knew what kind of shoes to bring and a timeline as to when our adventure began and ended. They treated me to an overnight stay at a Bed & Breakfast - in honor of not only my birthday ... but my dream of running a B & B myself one day. It was an amazing adventure, a precious day with good friends and a peek at what life could be if I continue to follow my dreams. Surprise!!

Fast forward to this past Saturday night.

Unbeknownst to me, there had been a conspiracy going on behind my back. The strategy began in September. A date had been chosen to execute the plan and normally The-Girl-Who-Is-Always-Home-On-a-Saturday-Night would not mess with the game plan.

A dance event came up unexpectedly 11 days prior to D-Day. Who knew that my desire to dance with my formation team would set off a sequence of events to make the final execution of this plan such a challenge??

Can you imagine my surprise when I walked in the door after our Dance Performance ... to find 22 guests awaiting my (tardy) arrival?!?!

The complete and utter surprise was superseded only by finally focusing on the guests that had been part of the conspiracy. I blinked once and focused on my own children. I blinked again to realize that it wasn't one of My Sons in focus, but My Brother ... who was standing in the vicinity of My Sisters and My Mom (so that's where she had been, as my overactive imagination had 'found' her in a hospital emergency room when I couldn't reach her on Friday) !! One by one, I found a Cousin ... then Two More. A Friend ... and then Another. And my Aunt ... (and of course, all of their spouses).

Surprise!!!!!

There is something about a happy surprise that simply takes your breath away. You walk in the door, expecting an ordinary moment and poof!!! In one millisecond, you don't have time to consciously decipher what is unfolding in front of your eyes. There are less than zero expectations. Anything could happen from that moment on and it would be a delightful revelation because you were expecting to come home to ... 'what you expected'.

The evening was a delight. My only regret? Is that I was late for my own party! The hour that I lost with my family & friends, but gained with my dance friends having one quick drink (of pop ... no alcohol for me because I was driving home and supposedly going out for a drink with My Oldest Son).

As the evening came into focus, I had the opportunity to visit with my guests. The conversations were not long enough. I didn't get a chance to spend enough time with everyone. I barely spoke to my own family (hoping/knowing that they would be the last to leave), I thought we would have ample time to visit later ... and the next morning and 'forever' ....

Approximately 210ish minutes from the onset of the Biggest Surprise of My Life ... I was transported back to my reality. I was alone with my memories, cards and emotions of the evening.

As I quietly reflected, I found a representation of every facet of my life in the guests in attendance.

I 'found' each and every member of my immediate family. Need I say more? This is the family that is there for me when I don't even know I need them. This is the family that knows me better than I know myself. This is the family that I cherish, respect and love with all of my heart. They were all there ... as always.

I found my first-ever friend (we lived a handful of miles away on the farm where I spent the first 9 years of my life). My friend and I have reconnected on many levels this past year and the easy friendship, way of thinking of rapport grows with each and every encounter. This year has been sprinkled with opportunities to strengthen our childhood bond.

I found my newest forever-friend (not only a person that represents my friend in real-life ... but a friend that I met through dancing!). This friend is not only a warm, friendly, interesting and a person that I treasure as a friend ... but she represents the first time I reached out a hand in friendship at the dance studio. Our budding friendship has encouraged me to continue to take risks and get to know 'the people who touch my life' better.

I found a cousin from my dad's side of the family (not only an amazing person who is my cousin, but him and his wife represent the very first bond I started to make with my cousins when I moved back 'home' 23 years ago).

I found two cousins from my mom's side of the family. These cousins are a delight and a breath of fresh air. I love being in their company ... but in addition to that, they 'represent' their sister, who is probably my closest cousin-friend (who, due to her beliefs could not attend a birthday celebration). It was a perfect 'gift' to enjoy the company of these cousins.

I found an Aunt from my mom's side. Not only was this aunt representative of her side of the family, but she was the only family I really knew when I first moved to this New City several decades ago. Plus I had the opportunity to get to know her even better as she provided many memories, reflections and perceptions of her life as I have collected memories for both Mom and Dad's family stories.

The only family member who was not represented in person, had managed to find my way into my mailbox. An Uncle from my dad's side had mailed a birthday card, which I received one day prior to this gathering. An uncle I have become extremely close to ... a 'piece' of my dad. I have never received a birthday card from him before ... Christmas? Always. Birthdays? It was like he 'knew' that it was important that he was with me on such a special occasion.

The emotions ... the words ... the afterglow ...

I'm in a most wonderful place this morning. Thanks to my Brother who was The Mastermind of this occasion; my Children who were his Co-Conspirators; and my Sisters and Mom who added all of the special touches to make this An Evening to Remember.

And the pictures that follow represent the physical mementos my guests left behind:

Please note that the milk, margarine, eggs and yogurt were the only things that were in the fridge when I left the house earlier that evening!!


I am overcome with appreciation and wonder. I am in awe with the special people in my life and a 'Milestone Birthday' which gave My Brother an opportunity to gather 'my life' together for one evening under my very own roof.

"Thank You" doesn't even begin to cover it ...

No comments:

Post a Comment