Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Happy

What IS "happy"? I am coming to think of the word happy as a verb. Kind of like the word "love". I prefer to think of both of these words as action words. It feels easier to attain these goals when one thinks of them in the form of a result of one's own actions.

Why do I write this today? Because when it came to titling this post after a long period of silence, "Happy" is the word that came to mind. Not necessarily as a state of mind but as a result of fulfilling something inside of myself that resulted in a state of happiness.

I have often thought our home was so much more than a house. I feel grounded here. I loved what my daycaring years taught me about earning an income from under this very roof. I felt every square inch of our house, garage, playhouse and yard were being utilized. Our home was filled with living, breathing, energetic individuals. This created a state of confusion and chaos at times but all in all, there was a feeling of fulfillment. A feeling that "this is where I am meant to be". No matter what the day had in store, I had the resources to wade through the waves because I was home. I was grounded.

The past three years have had me working outside of our home. It has been challenging but knowing I have this little oasis here on earth awaiting me at the end of my days and weeks makes all things bearable. I am grateful for this place I call home. The tranquility. The state of normal which is routine and predictable. It is my soft place to land. It sustains me.

I have tossed out offers of sharing our home with those who have been in a state of change. We have lots of room. It is peaceful here. You are welcome.

I have made the offer and other than what I think of as my "regular" house guests, no one has taken me up on this offer.

Finally, someone answered "Yes".

This "yes" was multiplied by a number of other guests for one night. My inn was full. Each and every bedroom and spare bed within our home was utilized. Our walls felt happy. These walls were filled with family, friendship, laughter, comfort and joy.

Thankfully one guest stayed on. Our home was available at exactly the right time and place.

It felt absolutely right to offer our home and I was grateful to have one small thing to offer to someone going through a time of uncertainty. A soft place to land.

"If you build it ... they will come" ~ Field of Dreams

It is happening. It may be small. But it is right. I am living in my field of dreams ...

No comments:

Post a Comment