Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Company's Coming!

Something deep within me has shifted. The upcoming week is full of commitments, people, company coming AND I am a little bit excited despite it all.

Rewind the tape to a time not so long ago when plans were made and I dutifully carried them out. Each step along the way was slightly less excruciating than the one that preceded it. I would follow through, complete my mission, come home and gather my energy for the next hard thing.

This is not unusual for me. I don't like leaving home. Normally I go through the process alone, finding the simplest of decisions inexplicably hard. I don't know what to pack. Whether or not I need to bring a pillow. What if the house burns down while I'm away? What if I don't make it back? Is everything in order?

This is normal for me. I have gone through this process in a slightly less feverish approach for most of my adult life. The "what ifs" bog me down but they start to lighten the moment I'm on my way to somewhere.

Somewhere may be work, an outing with a friend, a short getaway or a more extensive holiday-like destination. The place between "leaving home" and "heading somewhere" is uncomfortable. I go through my processes and to date, I have always come out the other side of the experience intact and grateful for the experience.

It became worrisome to me when issuing invitations into our home started to carry some of the same burden. I become obsessive about cat hair, cleanliness, organization and would over think most every aspect of pending company.

There is one caveat. Outings, gatherings, invitations and conversations involving my own family sustained me. These encounters felt like pure oxygen and breathed life back into me.

Family is coming. Each and every one of my guest rooms will be utilized. I have a guest who will be staying for a longer period and I have gone into full-on hostess mode.

I want to provide little touches, things I appreciate when I'm away from home and distracted by things beyond my control. I want my guest to arrive and not have to worry about a thing.

I went about my weekend preparing for the week ahead of me. I have created a home away from home for my guests and I am just a little bit excited for things to fall into place. Undoubtedly, I will have forgotten something. I always do. But the state of becoming prepared for a week such as this has filled me up and oxygenated me.

I have three spare bedrooms. I have created a little oasis where I put myself in my guests' shoes and have tried to anticipate the small little comforts to make our home feel like theirs. Our home feels happy and open to all that will unfold within these walls.

"If you create it, they will come ..." It feels like I'm in my Field of Dreams again.

No comments:

Post a Comment