Friday, February 5, 2010

This is Really Happening!!

My heart has started to race with anticipation. It all became very, very real to me last night as I wafted through my dance lesson ...

This week, my dance instructor asked me to wear my dance costumes to my lessons. I wore my ball gown Tuesday night and last night I wore my new rhythm costume.

I 'bejewelled' my fingers, wrists and ear lobes. My new orange hair doesn't seem so out of place when a part of the entire ensemble. I glittered and sparkled. I was transformed.

I feel like I'm a little kid playing dress-up. Other than Halloween, when (as adults) do we have a chance to take a step on the wild side and dress completely out of the norm? I have often described our dance showcase days as feeling like you are a princess for a day.

You feel different, you move differently (though the song "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" did come to mind as I gathered the nerve to walk out in public with my skimpy little costume) but most of all (after I stopped shaking), you act differently. You look like you can dance ... so you act like you can dance.

I wish that I could wave my magic wand and transform everyone into their inner princess. When you dress up for these dance events, you get to step out of the norm. You get to play a part. But most of all ... you get to dance!!

Last night, my dance instructor gave me a card of encouragement as we enter the final stage of this fun-filled journey of preparing for The Biggest Event of My Life So Far. I came home after an evening at the dance studio and gazed at this card, the words and I was overcome by the reality that was 'the moment'. "Live Laugh Love ... Nothing is worth more than this day."

Nothing is worth more than this day. No matter what is going on in your world, what truer words could be spoken?

I have had my moments of apprehension as I stepped into the abyss of the unknown as far as all that this dance competition entails. The money, the time, the primping, my abilities, the money ...

But ever since I dared to dance and let this adventure sweep into my world, it has been like a dream come true.

It is real. I am really doing this!! I am living my dream. I highly recommend following your heart and embracing a dream. No matter how things go once I'm there, no one can take away these days, weeks and months of anticipation. I have already gotten my money's worth out of this grand adventure.

It's happening. This dream is really coming true!!

No comments:

Post a Comment