Saturday, March 7, 2020

Grounded

I arrived home from work last night to this question/statement: "I may need to borrow your car this weekend". In the moment, I didn't see the benefit of this sacrifice but in the light of day, all I can think is "I can't go anywhere unless I walk. I have to stay home. All weekend. Yay!!!"

My initial thoughts were of the imminent car repair that will be required. Do you repair a car that is 25 years old? Or replace it? I had just uttered the words "My car will need new summer tires in the spring" that very morning. And again, that thought was quickly followed by do I keep putting money into a car that is 18 years old?

Car troubles.

We have been very fortunate that our cars have not required a great deal of maintenance over all. Preventative maintenance has taken care of most of our worries but there comes a time when parts and pieces wear out. Nothing lasts forever.

Repair or replace. My hope is repair costs don't dictate replacement. There is nothing quite like knowing your car's history and I hate starting from scratch with something new-to-me.

The money part will work itself out. It always does. In the meantime, I am reveling in the realization that I am grounded this weekend. In more ways than one. Yes, I am sequestered to our home for two days. But there is no where else I'd rather be.

Being home grounds me. A malfunctioning car has grounded me. This sounds like a perfect combination. I am exactly where I am meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment