Thursday, October 1, 2009

One Month In ...

Today is the one month anniversary of my return to school. True to my analytical mind, I was tallying up the hours spent on this, that and the other thing as the month wound to a close.

I've lived the first month in 'real life' ... the time budget that I made up for myself at the onset of this life change couldn't be further from the reality.

What I'll keep:

School!!! I love it, love it, love it!! I'm starting to learn things that actually apply to the book keeping job that I have. I've learned the simplest things about computers and even calculators that I didn't know before ... and now I utilize these simple tools every day in my real life. I love to exercise my brain. My only fear is that I haven't challenged it enough.

Family suppers! They came about in a round about way, but it was the suggestion of #1 son that initiated this event. Eagerly seconded by Second Son. Kurt? He is guaranteed one hot, well balanced meal a week. And me? I'm lovin' it. Except ... as the third family meal wound to a close, I couldn't help but think "When are we going to go out for supper??"

Dancing! Yes!!! I'll be glad when the showcase comes ... and goes. It will mean one less night at the dance studio. But after the month that I had, I actually couldn't wait to get to the dance studio last night to remove my head from the busyness that has occupied the previously unoccupied space. It is the 'fun factor' in my life. It stays.

Time off! I took 3 complete and total days off for the September long weekend. It was wonderful in every way. I indulged myself in a small trip with friends, a day to myself, Kurt was happy and it was relaxing in every way. I think my goal for the months ahead would be to stagger those complete and total days of relaxation into 'one day a week' instead of 3 days at the beginning of the month and time 'as life dictated' scattered throughout the remainder of the month. Sundays off are my goal.

Writing ... it's a keeper and always will be. The blog? It's my favorite way to spend a cup of coffee (except a face to face visit with someone will always take precedent). Family histories? Still a passion. But they are on a back burner for now. 'Putter' is my goal. A little bit here and a little bit there. I'm not forgetting the ultimate goal. But for now, I just have to put other things first.

Work (no exclamation point). It is required. It is good. But it took up every spare moment of my time last month and I'm tired. I achieved my goal of logging 80 hours of work in the month. But I have to find a better way of doing it. Working all weekend isn't good for Kurt, my friendships/family or my sanity. Yes, the work must remain. But I'm going to aim towards moderation (and Sundays off, of course).

Kids. Hmmm. As my kid-hours wane, I wonder how I ever did this full time. The bickering for the 45 minutes to an hour that I have 3 children drives me nuts. My usual phrase is "I have 3 rooms and I know how to use them!" But really? Do they really have to argue about every little thing? My kid days are coming to an end. I felt it before. I know it now.

TV. That's another 'hmmm' topic. I have made the effort to try and watch some of my (taped) favorite TV shows as the season premiere week descended upon us. I enjoy it. But last night, I grabbed not only a bowl of ice cream ... but the remainder of a bag of chips (granted, it took me 4 sittings to consume that bag) ... and 4 packages of 'Fruit Gushers' so that I could stay awake long enough to get through 'Desperate Housewives'. The TV programs stay ... the excessive eating must stop.

Speaking of excess eating ... my clothes fit better after one month of this new life. My appetite (except when I eat to stay awake) is normal and good. I think this new life is good for my waist line.

I've learned a lot this past month. Not all of it from school ...

No comments:

Post a Comment