Friday, July 30, 2010

Let the Sun Shine In

The lack of routine in my life is playing havoc with my house and yard keeping.

'Friday chores' seem to be a thing of the past. I forget to water the plants. We can leave messages in the dust. 'Tumbleweeds' of hair need to amass before I remember to vacuum the laminate flooring. Vacuuming is a thing of the past (I wore out the vacuum cleaner anyway).

Recent conversation after my Second Son dropped some food on the kitchen floor:

Son: "When is the last time the floor was washed?"
Me: "... umm ... sometime in June? But I swept it today."
Son: "Good enough." (as he gobbled up the dropped food item)

I never did get around to washing windows this year. I had a rare case of ambition for a while in June (when the kitchen floor did get washed), but the ambition was replaced by holidays and transition into my 'new life' and I just don't have things mapped out in my days yet.

I don't even 'see' the yard any more. The first time that I seem to remember that the lawn may need to be mowed is when I hear the sound of our lawn mower driving past the window that I'm working beside.

I'm grateful my son has taken the lead when it comes to the outdoor chores, but now that his work load is picking up I may need to get out and mow the grass myself. Heaven knows, I could use the fresh air, sunshine and exercise.

I need to create some routine into my days. I feel like I'm treading water here. Just keeping myself above the surface, with a great deal of effort.

I think that I may set aside some time to simply clean the house this weekend (and perhaps I will even wash the kitchen floor). Then I will go outside and pick some weeds and mow the grass.

I need a little Vitamin D that comes in the form of a sunbeam. It's time to clean those windows and let the sun shine in!

No comments:

Post a Comment