Monday, September 13, 2010

Baking 101

When I babysat, I baked. I baked a lot. I was quick, efficient and it wasn't unusual to have my home smelling like a bakery before 8 a.m.

Since my full time day care 'career' ended just over a year ago, baking has gone by the wayside. Sometime last year, I pulled out my dusty baking gear to make gingersnaps. The oil that I used had gone bad. The aroma of gingersnaps cooking was more like the smell of rancid oil permeating through the air. The cookies were edible ... but not great.

I believe that I tried honing my baking skills once more, at Christmas. I have no memory of the cookies being good or not. They aren't cookies I enjoy, so I don't eat them. This usually doesn't bode well for the success of whatever it is I'm baking - if I don't have my own taste buds set for the end result, beware. But ... there were no complaints. Mind you, no one complained about the gingersnaps either.

A week and a half ago, I thought that I should bake some Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins. So I took out some frozen mashed bananas to let them thaw 'overnight'.

I have moved that container of bananas around the fridge more times than I can count. Each time, thinking "I must make those muffins!" Each time I closed the fridge door, I immediately forgot that thought.

I completely and totally frittered yesterday away. By the end of the day, I was disgusted with myself, the lack of energy, drive and ambition. I used to accomplish so much with a day. Now? If I'm not getting paid to do something, I don't do it. That mentality is a definite down side to working from home.

So I thought that I would get up this morning and act like I used to act in my full fledged daycare/ambitious days. If I acted energetic, I would feel energized. Right?

Not so much.

I feel like I've been wading through molasses this morning. I've gone through my morning routines and more. And I decided to make those muffins.

My question when I baked my rancid oil gingersnaps was: Does oil go bad?? My question this morning was: Do frozen, then thawed-for-a-week-and-a-half bananas go bad?? My answer (after going through the ugly process of mixing, baking and cleaning up) to both questions is: Yes!!!

My only-daycare-charge has arrived. His mom immediately commented that the house smelled like baking. She then asked what I made. When I told her 'banana muffins', her reply? "Oh ... it doesn't smell like bananas. It does smell like baking though."

And I still have one more muffin tray to wash (because yes, I made a double batch). I was better off being lazy.

Trust me. If I'm asked to bring 'baking' to any type of pot luck affair, know that you are lucky if you see me walking in with something packaged straight from a bakery. Because heaven only knows how long flour lasts. Is three years excessive???

The next thing you know, I'll find out that eggs have an expiry date ...

No comments:

Post a Comment