Friday, January 19, 2018

Gotta Fly Now!

If I was to sit still and let my fingers fly freely across the keyboard this morning, this post would most likely be a to-do list for the upcoming weekend. I have places to go, people to see and things to do. And they start with my need to leave the house in about a half hour. So I must write fast if I am going to keep up this morning writing habit.

My morning inspirational email was about "facing fears". It was a reminder of the years where I did exactly that.

One year I took on the task to compile memories for Mom's family and that undertaking literally changed me from the inside, out. It rerouted my thoughts, helped me feel as though I truly belonged within this family of ours and it gave me the courage to do it all over again with Dad's family.

The scariest thing I ever did was pick up the phone and tell Mom's sisters I would like to write down and compile their memories. It was a life changer. I think we all won that round. It was a wonderful way to get to really know my family.

Another year, I signed up for Zumba and Bellyfit. Alone. A friend did not accompany me through those rooms full of strangers. Some people go on solo vacations. Me? I signed up for a few fitness classes. Same thing.

Confronting the fear of doing something on my own. That was huge for me. It motivated me in ways that scared the socks off me.

Unfortunately the timing of going "sockless" and a health scare with Mom happened in and around the same time. The sequence of events are intertwined within my mind and I can't really tell what scared me the most. Facing Mom's mortality? Or taking the final test to become a Group Fitness Instructor?

Life took a tumble after that fateful year. It was a slow decline. I never fully recovered. I never felt inspired to do so.

Until now.

It's time for a change, my friend. It has to start from within. And gosh darn it! I feel a power within me at this very moment in time that makes me think that this could be the time I break free of the year that broke me. The year 2011 was the beginning of my decline. The year 2018? I read someplace that it will be the year I break out of my cocoon and start to fly again.

Speaking of flying ... I must soar now. I've got much to do and little time to do it. I've gotta fly now. Cue Rocky's theme song "Gonna Fly Now" and you have it. I hear the trumpets playing. Maybe I'll guzzle down some raw eggs first.

And I'm off!

No comments:

Post a Comment