Saturday, April 27, 2019

Rabbit Watching

I was up at the crack of dawn this morning. Literally. My eyes popped open at 5 a.m., I immediately hopped out of bed, opened the living room blinds, then watched and waited as the sun brightened the morning.

Honestly, I was hopeful I would spot our neighborhood rabbits out for their morning stroll. I haven't seen our rabbit duo for a while now, though I have been pleasantly surprised to find a new young "kitten" [Did you know a baby rabbit is called a "kitten"?] who sleeps in until I leave for work in the morning.

This kitten appears to be more of a teenager than a baby. It is looks like a smaller version of the adult rabbits [my Google search tells me by the time a rabbit is 4 to 5 weeks of age, they look like a miniature adult] and its coat is full on summer tones. I spotted it in the rear view mirror as I backed out of the garage the two mornings ago. Yesterday, it was hopping about in our neighbor's yard.

This morning, I have set up camp in the living room so I can sit here with my coffee, go through my morning rituals and keep a keen eye open for our neighborhood rabbits:

This could become my new favorite morning spot...
... with a perfect view of our street 
As I sat here with my coffee and gazed mindlessly into the street, I thought of Mom's view as she sat in her spot at her dining room table. She too, had a perfect view of her street and was well aware of her neighbor's routines and the daily rhythm of movement around her...

The sun is beckoning to me these days. For the first time in years, I am feeling the pull to move my bedroom back upstairs. 

The effort it takes to put my feet on the floor each morning has been taxing. Waking up to a day off, with thoughts of how fleeting these next two days will be, I didn't want to waste a moment of the next 24 hours. 

It has been a very long time since I woke up to those thoughts. I think it is time to make a move to make mornings and rabbit watching my new favorite thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment