Thursday, April 25, 2019

Best Before Dates

In an archaeological dig within the remnants of a life I have a feeling a lot can be learned about a person based on the "best before" dates within their kitchen.

This seed of an idea was planted this past weekend when I went to assemble several consecutive meals. As I tried to cover all food and beverage basics and provide options, I dug into the archives of our kitchen cupboards and without even trying, I unearthed one great truth I know to be true. Life as we knew it stopped in and around 2016. The year my daycare closed.

Within one meal, I found a can of iced tea crystals, a can of corn and a bottle of salad dressing, all of which expired in 2016.

In one quick glance of a cupboard, while researching this post (a few moments ago) I found another batch of dry food items which either were created before "best before dates" were the norm or else expired in the years 2016 through 2018.

The expiry dates reveal food preferences, dates of life changing events, free food items, coupon availability, the lack of clearing out the cupboards and the inclination to believe "expiry dates are for wimps (see previous research here).

I amassed different groceries for different ages and stages of my life, my children and who came to visit.

Dry food and canned food items are a preference of mine, as each of these items withstand the test of time better than fresh food. In case of an unforeseen emergency, these are good food items to have on standby.

My inclination towards thriftiness is yet another reason I hold onto things longer than the date the retailer recommends.

Plus? I'm kinda lazy when it comes to culling old food items.

Our freshly renewed kitchen is holding onto many great secrets of mine. All of which can be discovered by digging deeper than the recommended "best before date".

Marie Kondo, I need to sit down with you and continue the process we started at the onset of this new year. I started your process, went through an entire main floor renovation with your inspirational words "Does this spark joy?" running through my mind on repeat and I still have a kitchen that holds onto expired food items. Even after the culling process was (supposedly) complete.

My one true wish is that I do not live beyond my own personal best before date. Yet my kitchen is the graveyard of many such items. It is no secret that I have a hard time letting go and moving on. Armed with this realization and seeing the words written before me don't hold the impact they should.

I would prefer to utilize that which we have before throwing it away. I vow to ensure everything passes the smell test and that nothing within the dry ingredients moves independently before I use them. This is all I can promise for now. Baby steps...

No comments:

Post a Comment