Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I Love Ruts

I do believe that I border on an obsessive-compulsive personality type. I love order in my life. I'm obsessed with many things.

I love predictability in my days. I wake up and do the same thing every morning. I run my day with kids and there is a lot of routine in the day. I am obsessed with keeping the to-do-lists taken care of. I take the same routes to and from the various destinations I have as I leave the house. Same ... same ... same ... is the norm for me.

Even our holidays are more of the same. We usually do a variation of the same thing year after year. To me, a holiday is doing anything that I normally can't do during my day-to-day work world. It takes very little to excite me when holiday time rolls around. The ability to get out of the house on a whim is a holiday for me. Following my whims, where ever they may take me. But even my whims are very predictable. Same ... same ... same.

Well, this year we embarked on a brand new holiday route. We went to new cities, took new roads, stayed in different hotels and saw new sights. It was frightening for me to leave Normal behind.

I love Normal. I'm sure I'll have many tales to tell about our adventures away from 'Life as I Know It' these next few days ....

No comments:

Post a Comment