Monday, November 9, 2009

Still Standing

Whew! It's been quite a ride. But I must admit, I'm glad to get off and get my sea legs again.

The crescendo of preparing for the dance showcase; 'accessorizing' the occasion; last minute details; extra practises; and all of the hype that I created in my mind finally became a reality.

Adrenaline has been fueling me for the past while and I believe that I became addicted. Waking up yesterday morning and knowing that my regularly scheduled life was ready and waiting for me was assuring. But a bit of a shock to the system.

This morning, the world feels bright and shiny once again. My head is full of my goals for the day, week, year and years ahead. Looking forward, with no firm destination in sight is a very good spot to be.

I finally have the energy to start thinking 'Christmas'. A few ideas ... and a little over a month to put them to work.

The thoughts of an upcoming dance competition add a little sparkle to my step. But the reality of going to a group class yesterday and learning that I really, really need to start with one basic principle (balance) and work from there, shook me back into reality. I have a very long way to go. I know for a fact that I must start from the bottom, up. Literally. I need a comfortable pair of dance shoes. I believe that the underlying reason I like the fast dances is because the painful work of balance and control is next to impossible with the shoes (or feet??) that I have. Back to basics.

I have a grammar exam which I must conquer this week. As I learned at my dance lesson yesterday ... I know how to speed through language (and dancing) and have the illusion that I have honed a skill ... but in reality, I don't have the basic concepts ingrained. Back to the books. I thought grammar consisted of nouns, pronouns,verbs, adjectives and adverbs. All of these dangling participles, comma splices and perfect past tense participles are swimming around aimlessly in my brain. It's time to put them in order and learn the basics of our language.

I have a few 'housekeeping' items to take care of in my personal life. When the past intersected with the present this past weekend, I realized that there are some things that need to be worked out. Fear of falling back into the past, I put up some walls that I need to chisel away at. A slight renovation there ... remove the wall and install some French doors. There has to be a way to allow mixing the past with the present and still having some limitations. You can walk in and out of a French door ... look back and ahead ... yet still have a boundary. Yes. Renovations are in order.

I have a lot to work on. It's good to have goals and a clear idea of where I'm are headed. Now that the showcase is behind me, I redirect my energy and conquer a few more mountains.

The dance shoes are off ... and I'm still standing.

No comments:

Post a Comment