Sunday, April 19, 2020

The Evolution of Customized Shelving

Phase I - The Before

This is the closet in "Mom's Room" which has been emptied, primed, painted and waiting for book shelves for a year now:


Phase II - The Messy Middle

Mom's books have had several homes since they moved in with me. 

First, most of them resided in their future home, in a free standing book shelf which was in "Mom's Room", with the excess in bookshelves in various other locations.

During last year's renovations, all of the books were moved into the enclosed shelving within our laundry room. There was plenty of room for all the books and I could easily find any book I was looking for.

This past Christmas, my son gave me the gift of offering to build a bookshelf for the books. So I lugged up all of the books and laid them out in the fashion I hoped they could be displayed in the middle of the floor of the room which would become their eventual "forever home".

My son then advised me that he would need room to navigate while building said shelves, so I moved the books into the spare bedroom. So many books. The excess spilled over from the containers which held them, onto the spare beds within that room.

This too, would serve to be a temporary home for my library-in-waiting. We ended up with a house full of company and every single bed in our home was needed and utilized. So I moved the books once again. This is where Mom's library of books is at this very moment:


My son has had a fully committed winter so the tentative goal for the installation of the customized bookshelves he designed and created was set for "sometime before April".

Then came the self isolation mandates during this time of the 2020 coronavirus. Life as we knew it stopped in its tracks.

Phase III - The It's Ready for Paint Step


This photo came with the message "I hope you're okay with how it looks".
And I was. I have vision and could see it in its final stage even when it was lined up against a wall in its ready-to-be-painted-and-assembled period.

Phase IV - The Almost There Stage

Last weekend, my son delivered but, due to the distancing and isolation recommendations,
could not install the shelving. It is presently residing in the basement awaiting the green light before the final installation of this saga continues:


These are lying on the floor and I rotated the picture to give the illusion of what it will look like once installed inside the closet. It will be an L-shaped shelving unit with room for smaller books to the right of the main event.

We are so close. So very close! 

Phase V - To be Announced

I cannot wait ...

No comments:

Post a Comment