Monday, April 20, 2020

Hope Springs Eternal

I'm a bit of a dreamer. 
I like to think I'm an optimistic thinker. 
Gratitude is my daily prayer. 
Faith is simply my belief that (one way or another), things will work out. 
Some how. 
Some way. 

The sun always rises. 
We get a new chance every day. 
Even when we don't want it. 
The sun keeps shining through the closed blinds 
as if to beckon us out of whatever moment we are in 
and invite us to open the blinds to behold the wonder of life.

I had a very quiet weekend.
I love quietness.
I took one day to do all the hard things.
I washed my hair.
I vacuumed.
I washed a load of "whites".
I washed the shower curtain.
I wrote a blog.
I replied to an email.

Then I rested.

I woke up yesterday to a fresh new day.
All the hard things had been done.
A clean slate.
I knew exactly what I wanted to write on that slate.
I wanted to work.
And I did.

I put in a productive day.
I did hard things.

Then I rested.

I slept in this morning.
I missed the early morning dawn when I normally spot our neighborhood rabbits.
I know for a fact we have three rabbits.
I suspect we have four.

One morning, I saw one rabbit. 
I dubbed this rabbit "Loner",
because there always seems to be one rabbit who is set apart from the rest.
Loner hopped out of sight.
I waited.
I wondered if "The Twins" would appear.
We have a set of rabbits who seem to travel together.
When you see one, the other is usually in sight.
Then there is "A Third" who sometimes joins them.
Sometimes not.

I waited only a few moments.
I was rewarded with the appearance of "The Twins", 
soon followed by "The Third".

Yes,
"I think we have four rabbits",
I told my son who is tiring of my rabbit tales.

I thought I had no hope of spotting a rabbit at this morning's late hour.
I opened the blinds.
And what to my wondering eyes should appear ...
but FOUR rabbits!


Now, my question is:
"Do we have four rabbits?
(the Loner, Twins & a Third) ...
or do we have eight rabbits??
The only other time I spotted four rabbits at the same time
is when they hopped in from the south 
and joined the Twins & a Third (Loner had already taken off to the west).

Four rabbits at one sighting.
In the daylight.
So I could document the moment.

I felt like this morning's rabbit sighting was a reward.
A pat on the back for doing the hard things this weekend past.
A nod of approval that sleeping in is okay.
A sign that just because we don't see something doesn't mean it isn't there.
And a definite sign of spring!

The rabbits are shedding their winter coats,
the snow is melting,
daylight is exceeding moonlight,
and it is (finally) warming up.

The sun rises every morning.
Spring is guaranteed to follow winter.
Eventually.

It sometimes feels there is little we know to be true these days.
We don't know how long before we can reignite our social lives and our economy
as this COVID-19 pandemic rules the world.
We don't know the lasting impact this will have.
We don't know who will be infected.
We have no idea how this virus could infiltrate our lives.

Just keep waking up.
Open the blinds and gaze outside.
Do one of the hard things you didn't do yesterday. 
Or not.
You can do hard things tomorrow too.
Rest.
Always rest.
Be grateful for the smallest of things.
Prepare to be amazed.
Marvel at the world around you and dare to wonder ...

This morning
I am wondering
do we just have four rabbits in our midst,
or eight?
Either way,
With spring, comes baby rabbits.
Hope springs eternal.

No comments:

Post a Comment